Delta 28-276 Bandsaw. Made in USA or Overseas version?

Delta 28-276:

This saw is at Lowes right now for $399. But I am finding conflicting info on the web. The saw on the floor at Lowes has the motor mounted behind. But I am finding some on the web where it shows it mounted underneath. How exactly can you tell the difference if the Delta 28-276 is either the USA or Overseas version?

The one at Lowes has a good size sticker that says "Made in USA" on the top cover. As well as Made in USA under the model number (i think).

then I do a search and find some bad reviews on Amazon:
it shows the saw with the motor mounted underneath.

Are their different versions of this saw? I did a search on Google of rec.woodworking and you guys posted some good word for this saw (for it's price anyway). On Google a few of you guys comment on the "excellent Delta

14" upper and lower blade guide assembly"

One post I found seemed very informative (But is it accurate): "28-203 is the U.S. made model single speed model, which is used as the core of the 28-293 (1 hp closed stand), and the 28-299A (1.5 hp closed stand). Some dealers still have the 28-275 and 28-278, the US-made 3/4 hp open stand saw, and the 28-299 US-made 1 hp closed stand saw. The 28-306E is the core 28-303 metal-cutting geared saw on a 1 hp closed stand. The 28-206 and 28-276 are the overseas saws that line up with the US-made 28-293 and the older 28-275/278. In terms of materials and component design, the overseas saws have slightly larger tables (16" x 16"), a 4" cast-in-place dust port, two speed pulley (Hardwoods and softwoods are best sawn at different speeds) and a Carter-like quick tension release. They are designed to compete with the Jet at the $500 and $600 price point. Both still use the excellent Delta 14" upper and lower blade guide assembly designs and 9 spoke wheel. Having looked at both models SBS with the US versions, they are pretty much a toss-up. In terms of bang for buck, both the 206 and 276 saws match up favorably with the Jet products on price as well as features, with larger tables, quick-release tensioner, functional dust collection, better guides, cast iron trunnion, and multi-speed capability. Also - Delta has changed the tensioner spring to a die spring, a move that Jet made a while ago, and makes the purchase of an Iturra tensioner spring an option rather than a requirement for resawing. From what I can see between the Canadian and US factory sites, the overseas saws were introduced in Canada a few years ago, alongside the US made tools in Canadian packaging (English/French instruction set, warning labels, etc.). Not sure what prompted the decision to compete on price; however, given the US made saws are still there for the folks that prefer them, I don't see much of an issue. Now if they could just go back to cast iron wheels..."

Reply to
Grant

Given the confusion, buy a Jet and be done with it ;)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I concure.

TeamCasa

At least the sticker is "Made in USA".

Reply to
mp

LOL ... Canada would be more likely.

Reply to
Swingman

Flat out, gott'a admit I don't know. But what they hell, that never stopped anyone from posting on Usenet. I've got their 2003/04 Catalog here - and you're right it looks different. The catalog also mentions a quick release lever. I'd (1) call Delta (2) call Lowes [ with low expectations ] and (3) see if I could find one to examine @ Lowes.

That said - $399 I think is the most telling indication that it's not made in the USA nor a high quality machine. That's my opinion. I have the Jet 14" Closed Base. Spent $50 more for mine.

But, flat-out, I'm as clueless as most of the Usenet community.

Reply to
mttt

Are you sure the floor model is in fact what Lowe's is actually going to sell you? Given the low, low price seems hard to believe it's not the overseas model they offer to compete with the other clones...Delta has offered its own band saw in tons of different combinations of stands and motors over the years and your link does look like one of them...Maybe Lowe's is clearing out the open stand models for cheap or maybe this is an example of why catalogs have fine print about how picture may not depict actual product. Who knows? Probably the only way to find for sure is to e-mail Delta with the exact model number and ask.

But it shows the saw with the motor mounted underneath.

Just as an aside...I would pay no attention to Amazon.com consumer reviews of any tool. I have read many reviews there of stuff I own and feel I know pretty well. Compared with the posts here or at other ww forums, an incrediblly high percentage of amazon.com reviews contain gross factual errors and/or seem to have been written by manic depressives off their meds. I have often wondered if some amazon.com reviews purporting to be from consumers are not in fact fakes submittted by dishonest tool reps seeking to build up their own brand and tear down the other guy as part of some guerilla marketing campaign. I like amazon.com, but their review system would seem tailor-made for just such abuses.

...Regardless, infinitely better info here.

Reply to
Woodstock

My local Lowes had the same setup. The display model was an older, made in the USA model with the rear mounted motor, not the 28-276. The 28-276 is overseas mfg, with the motor mounted overseas. I bought one back around Christmas with the 20% off, plus Delta/Lowes had a $50 rebate. For $270 before tax it wasn't a hard decision.

It seems to be a good saw. Only problem I had was the top tire was oversize and would be thrown off as the saw came up to speed. Delta sent a new one and so far no problems. Overall quality seems good. Runout on the wheels were within the specs in Duginske's book, casting and machining work look good, blade tracks well, no complaints. I don't have alot of hours on it yet, but I would recommend it if you are like me and on a budget and not needing a higher capacity saw....

Tim

Reply to
Tim

The 28-276 is definitely made in China.

The ones that are on the floor in Lowes that say made in USA are the old models, 28-278 and 28-275, that they have not replaced with the Chinese ones. You will also find that they have Delta Contractors saws on display but what they have in the box for sale is the Professional table saw. It is a Taiwanese clone of the Contractors saw.

I was able to buy a 28-275, USA made floor model from a Lowes for $300.00 while out of town. The Lowes near me refused to sell the floor model unless there were no of the 28-276s in stock. If your Lowes has an American made one, really push them to sell it to you.

IMHO the Chinese model is a total POS. I would not waste my money on it. It is puzzling to me because a lot of the imported stuff that Delta sells is not all that bad. The tires are plastic, not rubber and they don't fit well and come off very easily during use. The castings are awful and all of the adjustments and guides are very sloppy. The door knobs strip out. There is one on display on a local Lowes that the top door is held closed with packing tape. It is the floor model because someone returned it because the tire kept popping off of the wobbly wheel. The Jet 14" saw is much better than the delta. Even the Rigid looks better. If you do a search on Amazon for 28-276 or 28-206 (the enclosed stand model) you will see a lot of one stars.

But it shows the saw with the motor mounted underneath.

Reply to
Chris C

So are you saying that the floor model had the motor mounted behind and the one you got had the motor mounted underneath?

I'm get the feeling that the same thing is true with the one I am seeing on the floor. But the only new one they have is in a box on a shelf almost touching the roof, so I could not look at it.

Reply to
Grant

Yes I'm pretty sure this is what is going on at my Lowes too. I asked if they would sell the floor model but the guy said it was not an option.

Reply to
Grant

Woodcraft has a 10% sale on Jet tools April 17. If you buy before April 30, you may qualify for a $50 rebate as well.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

OK so which state are you in?

This is a deceptive trade practice, the display model is not what is sold, and its not the same quality. There may also be laws being broken because of the false designation of origin.

That said, I do get rather anoyed reading Amazon reviews that say nothing more than 'the don't make this in the USA any more'. I get the feeling the local union has a campaign on to post negative reviews of the imports.

That and the reviews where someone starts complaining about a table being a thousandth out of true flatness over a six foot length. Oh and those reviews where you start reading them and you know that the reason the tool has exploded is that someone tried to do something cretinous, 'I bought the Norm Abrams benchtop mortiser and it broke the first time I tried to cut a mortise in a steel girder'

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

In California.

Yes it is deceptive.

Reply to
Grant

Yep.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Like others, I popped into Lowe's this weekend. Sho'nuff - the big white label shows "28-276" and $399 but the model number on the actual display unit (next to the Made in the USA tag) was NOT 28-276.

Reply to
mttt

Does this mean we all get free saws now? ;-)

Reply to
Grant