Delta 28-299B Bandsaw, minor gloat (I think)

I went to the local Delta dealer the other day because I knew the Delta rep was in town. I'd been trying to choose a bandsaw, and was deciding between an American-made Delta 14", the Jet 16", and the Powermatic 14". They had last year's American Delta (28-299B) on the floor--$850 with riser block and fence included, minus 10% (they have 10% off all Delta tools for the month of December--I may have to go pay another visit). Anyway, I was chatting up the rep & hemming & hawing about the saw, so he offered to throw in a mobile base free. That just about convinced me, but I figured I should at least check the table for flat. Well, it was clearly not flat, and as he was saying that of course he'd order me a new one, I happened to look at the new Delta Chiwanese 14 incher next to it with the bigger table. He saw me looking and asked if I'd like him to replace the bent small table with a flat big one--that was enough, bought the saw on the spot.

I've only had a little time to play...er...work with the saw at this point, but so far I'm very happy with it. I don't have any vibration issues as at least one poster here did--it passes the nickle test, even on the mobile base. I can't say that I've stressed it at all, but it's had no problem with anything I've thrown at it so far, and I've only given it the most rudimentary of tune-ups and am using the blade that came with it (gotta order some Timberwolf blades this weekend). The new table arrived today, and I am a happy camper.

-Forrest

Reply to
Forrest Chamberlain

Do you think it vibrates too much ?

Reply to
David Binkowski

I didn't even think the X-5's vibrated badly; just the 28-299A.

dave

David B> Do you think it vibrates too much ?

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Anyone know the difference between a 28-299A and 28-299B??? BillyBob

Reply to
BillyBob

yup.

dave

BillyBob wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Care to elucidate on the topic?

BillyBob

Reply to
BillyBob

I've had a chance to inspect both bandsaws intimately, and I own one of them. I saw no substantial changes from the 299A and the X5 that would change its vibration characteristics.

X5 = larger table, wrench knobs to adjust table, chute by bottom wheel goes through base to back of unit for 4" hookup, quick tension release, base design somewhat different, called a resilient motor mount (but still a rigid motor mount in closed steel cabinet). Its the same 3450 RPM contractor saw motor driving the double-size sheave (the pulley that the belt hooks to, driving the lower wheel)... I say double size, because most saws have a 1725 RPM motor driving a pulley thats half that size. Originally I thought this was the cause for the vibration but when "mounting" the motor to a bench OUTSIDE the base, there was NO vibration. I literally eliminated all doubt by connecting the saw to the motor by nothing but the belt. I could balance a penny on the table. That is what led me to believe the motor itself (or pulley) was vibrating. But after receiving it, Delta said it was perfect. Nonetheless I had another identical motor and it was the same too...

I basically tossed the mobile base and put it on a heavy table I constructed. mortise & tennon, 2x4 stretchers, 4x4 cedar legs, and 3/4" plywood top. Some people claimed just removing it from the mobile base was sufficient to lower vibrations but I went all the way to making a stationary (and quite heavy) table. If that didn't do it I was prepared to mount the motor to the floor on a large wooden block separate from the base, and fix the base to the wall behind it (so both would stay put and in line)

Reply to
David Binkowski

Not at all. Like I said, it passed the nickle test no problem.

-Forrest

Reply to
Forrest Chamberlain

The 299A includes the fence and mobile base, the 299B includes the fence and riser block.

-Forrest

BillyBob wrote:

Reply to
Forrest Chamberlain

Gee, and to think some of the dimmer bulbs here think that it was just me who knows the Deltas vibrate...

dave

David B> I've had a chance to inspect both bandsaws intimately, and I own one of

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Thanks Forrest.... BillyBob

Reply to
BillyBob

the differences don't end there, guys...

dave

BillyBob wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

if it was a Powermatic, it would pass the dime test too! :)

dave

Forrest Chamberla> David B>

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Mine's a Delta 299A, and I can balance a playing card on edge while cutting 6x4 oak.

Reply to
David Binkowski

LMAO! Good one, David! :)

dave

David B> Mine's a Delta 299A, and I can balance a playing card on edge

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Hmm, actually, they do, at least according to the Delta rep I talked to. If you know something he did't, perhaps you'd could share to share rather than teasing us with hints of your mysterious knowledge?

-Forrest

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Reply to
Forrest Chamberlain

Obviously I shouldn't post before coffee...that should have read:

Hmm, actually, they do, at least accord> Hmm, actually, they do, at least according to the Delta rep I talked to.

Reply to
Forrest Chamberlain

Forrest Chamberlain thus spake:

Nothing mysterious about it at all... ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Just FYI, although it doesn't address your question about the differences between the "A" and "B" designation, I believe BAD was referring to the sea change after the older 28-299 model, without the letters.

Todd Stock wrote an interesting post back in February about the differences in the 299 and 299A. It's re-posted below with full credit to Todd:

You did get the best of the 14" saws, but in adding power to the package, Delta made a cost engineering change that moved them in the direction of the imports, quality-wise.

The problem with the new Delta 1.5 hp is that they upp'd the motor speed from 1750 to 3450 (to keep the price point for the motor and drive train identical to the old 28-299) and replaced the excellent balanced steel and iron pulleys that were supplied with the old 3/4 and 1 hp saws with the same crappy cast alloy sheaves that the Jets and other imports are using. This drive train vibe is more noticeable than on the imports because speed is doubled and power is higher on the new Deltas.

Junk the alloy sheave (the motor is likely a machined steel sheave and is probably OK) and invest in a cast iron, balanced Browning sheave for the driven shaft - about $28 from MSC. Make sure you get the proper bore (3/4") and correct 4L pitch diameter (NOT the same as the outside diameter).

Also - swap to a link belt. These are the fixes that Iturra recommends for the Jet and other imports, and appears to be necessary for the new Delta

1.5 hp as well.

I hope Delta gets enough complaints to change the drivetrain back to a balanced system - just one of the many things that justified a higher price tag for the saw."

Reply to
Swingman

actually, Greg, according to the local store there was another improvement, that should be obvious to everyone who glances at a 299B, and then looks at a 299A. Since you THINK that I'm wrong, I'm gonna let you stew about it for a while longer...

dave

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave