buying used table saw

Not me ... I have indeed moved my Unisaw a few times, but rent a truck with a TommyLift.

Reply to
Swingman

Well I guess another senior moment for me, but if you think about it at a negotiated rate it makes some sense.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

I used a 5x8 UHaul trailer and some 1x10 ramps. It was pretty easy to load and unload by myself. The back of the trailer is less than a foot off the ground. It was easy to push up the ramps. I can only get a trailer about 10' from the basement door, and not straight shot (it'll have to turn twice) so that's going to be a bit more of a challenge.

Reply to
krw

Tipped over flat on an old army blanket is probably a whole lot better than any other method.

Reply to
DanG

That's not going to work. Bumpy yard with a decent hill (down, fortunately). I'll rent a U-Haul to get it to the back door. With some judicious use of 2x10s it should go on its own wheels. I may have to use some plywood sheets to get it to go over the carpeting (dumb idea in a basement).

Reply to
krw

Break the saw down. Smaller pieces are easier to handle without damage. Wings and table are probably going to need to be reset, anyway.

Reply to
Father Haskell

What do you mean by hard on a cast iron top? Breakage? Scratching? What. I don't think I've ever seen a TS with a cast iron top - how common are they?

Personally, I'd just put a heavy blanket down, turn the saw over, and set it on the blanket upside down. A furniture blanket would be best, but anything for padding shoulc work. Otherwise, load it uprght and simply tie it in place properly and voilA! No problem. If you do turn a saw upside down, clean out the sawdust and be sure any motor mounts won't twist or otherwise be damaged from the vibrations. If the motor is external, it's best to simply remove it and carry it separated from the TS.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

Wings will have to be reset, as will the miter slot but breaking it down into more easily manageable pieces is a *lot* of work. I got it the first 70 miles in one piece (sans rails and side table), I think I can get it the last 100'. I should have done it the first time but I didn't know if I could get the U-Haul around back of the house (I can, easily, and have several times since).

Reply to
krw

Warp. You've never seen a TS with a cast iron top? I only know of a few with granite tops and some cheap ones with steel tops. ????

What's the purpose of the blanket? It's not going over the ground that way!

It's a Unisaw. Nothing hanging outside but the bottom has wheels. ;-)

Reply to
krw

It use to be the way a good table saw was made. My 10" Craftsman from about 1969 has a cast iron top. As my father had a similar model Craftsman I know it had a cast iron top and it was from the early 1950's

Both saws are running great. My brother has my father's but I know the one I have the top looks nearly new, though it takes a lot of elbow grease to keep it looking that way.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Tugging at the hook.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

As common as it gets.

Have you seen a 4 door car?

Reply to
Leon

I think cast iron and aluminum are the most common, not sure I have seen one with a steel top though.

Yeah, you don't want to turn that upside down. Better to probably remove the motor or reattach the motor shipping brackets it should have come with.

that said, Swingman and I have transported our cabinet saws on mobile bases to different locations via lift gate truck. We have it down to an art.

Reply to
Leon

It's pretty easy to get into a U-Haul trailer. A little "walking" on and off ramps works. The back of the trailer is only 8" or so off the road. The only issue is getting it across the ground, to the back door. I can't get the trailer closer than about 10' from the door and it'll have to turn a couple of times. It shouldn't be a real big deal, though.

Once I figured out that the trailer could get back there easily, I stopped worrying about it too much. I just haven't had time because I'm trying to get the other house on the market.

Reply to
krw

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:k7e1kv$sb6$1 @dont-email.me:

Windows!

Reply to
Puckdropper

Big honkin' engines which will take that vehicle so fast, it'll boil your blood!

-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner

Reply to
Larry Jaques