Table Saw RPMs

I'm building a cabinet for my Griz 1022 this summer and will take that opportunity to install a PALS kit. I'm also considering In-Line's performance package. What I'm wondering about is this, from their important information page:

"To provide a more efficient all-around blade speed. We have found that a blade speed around 3800 RPM gives plenty of power for cutting thick hardwoods, but also gives a much smoother cut on sheet goods and other materials. Most Contractor saws use 3450 RPM motors. By using a pulley on the arbor shaft that is 1û4" smaller than the pulley on the motor, blade speed is very close to 3800 RPM. The pulleys provided with our "standard" kits will provide this speed."

My Griz 1022 spins at 4700. I wouldn't mind dropping the speed. I've got an Avenger dado set that I used twice before I found it was rated for only 4500. It suits me just fine otherwise and I'd rather not get rid of it. I haven't checked yet to make sure those pulleys will fit my saw but I expect they will.

So what problems, if any, might I encounter by dropping my speed to about 3800. Maybe I should opt for a slightly higher speed, like 4310. That's only a little slower. Anybody got any thoughts?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Rodger

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who could see that post. :-)

Okay, that settles it. When I install the new PALS I'll put in the performance pack too.

Actually I was pretty sure I'd get it, but was thinking about maybe upping the rpms to something closer to 4500. What the heck. It's a fifty-dollar experiment. I've performed more expensive "experiments" in my day.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I also have a Grizzly 1022 and have wondered why this saw has such a high RPM. Since it only has a 1 1/2 HP motor, I would think that it would be designed for lower RPM's which would be easier on the motor. What is the rational of the

4800 RPM design?

Neal

Reply to
Neal

I don't know but I'll offer some possibilities.

People like a saw that goes fast.

The faster it's going when it hits the wood, the less likely it'll bog down if you push too fast, so it seems like a more powerful saw.

Burning wood makes you feel like a real woodworker.

They got a deal on the pulleys.

Or maybe there is some sort of physics involved that says a 1.5 hp motor should push a blade at 47 or 48 hundred to get max efficiency.

Actually, after I thought about it, I decided to go right to the source and sent an email to Griz tech support to see if they had any thoughts on the subject. Want me to let everybody know what they say?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Me and my 1022 breathlessly await your future missive. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Okay, now I'm confused. I was only curious before, but now I'm confused. Here is a quote from a response from Grizzly when I wrote them asking about the speed of the 1022:

"The motor pulley can be replaced with a smaller one to lower the rpms. The G1022SM has a blade speed of 4140 not 4700. the arbor speed was

4700. The rates are different due to the blade being installed.

I do apologize for the inconvenience."

I have a few remarks to that, but I'll save them for later. I gotta run to catch a bus.

Dan

Reply to
Dan