Bosch 1587 discounted at Lowes

My local Lowes had the Bosch 1587 jigsaw marked down to $65 tonight. Other Lowes may be doing the same thing, so if you're thinking about purchasing a jigsaw don't wait.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Oooooo, and I'm in the market. My B&D is great as cutting jigsaw puzzles, weather you're trying to or not.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have that model, and it's a fine little machine. That's a smokin' good deal.

Reply to
Steve Turner

If they've got stock--none of the Lowes near me is showing stock.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That is a good price the cheapest I have seen it is around $99. But that is the "combination lock" model. A great saw but the blade change feature is much more desirable on the later models. Yeah you don't change blades often... till you use one that changing a blade takes a second or two. Good find!

Reply to
Leon

Every time I need to change a blade on my 1587 I have to find the manual first.

But that is an excellent price, it is a helluva machine, and you _can_ eventually learn how to change the blade ... I think?

;)

Reply to
Swingman

I about fell out of my chair laughing when I read that. It honestly took me a few years of using ONLY that jigsaw to get where I remember "the combination". And it has the instructions printed on the machine!

But for the longest time, if I didn't have my readers with me, I was up against it. I twisted, turned, counted, fussed and cussed getting those damn blades in the thing.

Excellent tool, though.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Me too--Indianapolis area.

Reply to
Bill

Beats having to hunt for the long narrow screwdriver for the older ones though.

Reply to
J. Clarke

LOL, That sounded a lot like Red Green.

Reply to
Leon

I about fell out of my chair laughing when I read that. It honestly took me a few years of using ONLY that jigsaw to get where I remember "the combination". And it has the instructions printed on the machine!

But for the longest time, if I didn't have my readers with me, I was up against it. I twisted, turned, counted, fussed and cussed getting those damn blades in the thing.

Excellent tool, though.

Robert

One of the absolutely worst jig saws I read about and had first hand experience changing blades on was the DeWalts from 8~10 years ago. You thought the blade was in there tight till the wood pinched the blade and won the tug of war. It was hell pulling the blade out of the kerf with out the saw attached to it.

Reply to
Leon

They all beat my Dad's first one. It was a "McGraw-Edison" that he got at the Navy Exchange for something like 12 bucks. Had an allen-head set screw to hold the blade. Sock it down as hard as you could (and that wasn't very hard--put much force on it and the damned screw cracked) and half the time the blade fell out before it started to cut.

Then there was the Wen reciprocating saw (imagine a Sawzall powered by a three-legged gerbil) that also used a set screw, albeit a little bit bigger one.

He used to build docks with those things.

I got him a Sawzall for Christmas one year. He'd always thought that they were overpriced for what they delivered, until he used it and the blade stayed in and it didn't bog down on anything.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I hate doing that with drill bits ~ especially small drill bits. On some of the garden furniture projects I've been building out of cedar, I often drill a pilot hole so the nails don't split the wood. Occasionally, the wood pulls the drill bit out of the drill and it's hell to get the bit out of the wood without snapping it off.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote in news:YOsjo.23205$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe07.iad:

Don't you put the drill back on the bit and tighten it back down? It works about 90% of the time for me.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Or clamp the impact chuck down on it and take it out with the impact driver.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Of course, but it's fraught with problems. Tightening a 5 pound drill down on a 1/16" drill bit while keeping the drill perfectly vertical is difficult to say the least. One little fraction of wavering with the drill snaps the bit off. Don't know if that's ever happened to you, but it's happened to me more than once. Can't think of a faster way to blemish a project than trying to retract a tiny drill bit from a piece of wood.

Reply to
Upscale

Question: How do you remove a broken drill bit for those times that it doesn't work? Just as easy to snap a drill bit off with a pair of vise grips as it is with a drill chuck.

Reply to
Upscale

Grip it as close to the workpiece as possible, with the pliers perpendicular to the bit. Grip very firmly, and rotate the bit slowly back and forth.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

---------------------------------- A pin vise should solve your problem, they are specifically designed for such an application.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I worked with a carpenter who would use finish nails for pilot holes like that. He would chuck em up by the sharp end, then snip off the head, straight, leaving a barb on the end. Because nails are "soft" they would never snap when heated up, plus they would bend a lot more and still twist.

He never had to buy pilot bits either. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-