Interesting yard sale

Today, I went to a yard sale that was quite interesting. The man was 70 if he was a day, yet very sharp. I needed a pulley for my cement mixer, and he had some, but not the one I needed.

"Wait, wait, I've got a drawer full back here." So we went back there to a shop with at least a 75 square foot perfectly level Rockwell table saw and all the goodies one can imagine an old cabinetmaker would have. He opened a drawer, and selected a pulley that was right for the task. $2. Cast steel, probably at least $20 in town 25 miles distant. So now my mixer is ready for cement.

Out front, was a belt sander the likes of which I have never seen before. It had been altered, and was six feet long. Mounted to a tabletop with a fence so he could belt sand six foot lengths. Just amazing.

He had lots of other goodies, and I managed to spend $30, picking up some actually modern usable tools, and a shifting spanner, and a Stillson wrench in incredibly good shape with the pivotal pinned jaw.

It's nice to meet people like Cliff, and spend a little time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B
75 sq.ft. table saw ????????? What you been smoken ??????? Jr.

Jerry - OHIO

What lathe do you have and in what part of OH are you?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Well, Your Accuracyship, the metal part was about three by four, but with the white wings that surrounded it perfectly level, it was as large as a very good sized bed. It could have easily held two full sheets of plywood.

Sorry I missed a nit there, Your Worship!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Ypu8 miserable bastard, only managing to spend $30? With all the stuff you refer to, you should have spent at least $300

Reply to
George W Frost

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

The light house isn't mine, it was in the portage co. fair. It won top honers. My tall pot came in second, need to get my finishes better.I hate to sand !!! I picked up a crappman mono tube for $10.00 & some chink tools a year ago. Looking to step up soon.Just baught a monster scraper at wood working store in Oakwood,Ohio,Big money,,,Here we go !!! Can't stop now. I live in Mantua.

Jerry I'm cutting segment for my light house.

Jerry - OHIO

I wasn't slamming you. I thought it was a special purpose built saw. There is a guy near me that dismantles barns and has a monster saw for resawing beams from barns. Table is 10x20 foot. Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

------------------------------------- Do you know if there are any community colleges in NE Ohio that offer woodworking classes?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Not that I know of,but I met a turner at the Portage Co. fair that is in a turning club that I will have to look up. The guy that made the light house is a logger,Got to talk with him also. Are you in Ohio also ???

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

"Jerry - OHIO"

------------------------- Left Wayne County 20 years ago for SoCal (Los Angeles).

Dick Goddard's woolly bear caterpillar weather predictions of no sun and 6 ft of "partly cloudy" from Nov thru April finally got to me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Dick is still going strong. It ain't cold till you stick your tongue on the pole !!!!!!

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

-------------------- I remember Goddard doing the weather in Cleveland in 1960 before he went to Philadelphia for a couple of years when Westinghouse bought WTAM and changed the call letters to WKYC.

BTW, what is the wooly bear weather forecast for the winter?

Lew

.
Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ohio winters-SSSSNNNNOOOOWWWW

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

-----------------------------

Especially when you live in the "Snow Belt" like you do.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, a month of 75-degree June Gloom beats half a year of ice, I bet.

-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Poor kids don't get 'Snow Days ' out in So-cal do they ? That sucks !! Or do they get 'Fire Days' ?? I all ways hear on the news about something burning in Cal.

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

--------------------- Actually had a snowfall in the high desert a few years ago that allowed the kids to make snow men, but usually "Snow Days" in SoCal means you put on the chains, drive up into the mountains and go skiing.

This past year, they were still skiing in June.

Fire is not something to screw around with here in the West.

Fire season has almost become a year around event.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Reply to
Steve