Which kitchen fruits & vegetables can you grow from the pits or seeds?

Which kitchen fruits & vegetables can you grow from the pits or seeds?

I had planted a banana and it didn't come up but I just found out why.

Why would they make fruits & vegetables that can't grow themselves? Anyway, which fruits vegetables CAN you grow from kitchen scrap?

Which of these DID you grow from a leftover kitchen scrap? Lemons? Pears? Limes? Apples? Oranges? Carrots? Onions? Garlic? Kumquat? Tomato? Grape? Ginger? Apricots? Bananas? Leeks? Mango? Avocado? Potato? Basil? Parsley?

My plan is to put it in the freezer or frig for a month or two. And then plant it in the ground and see what comes up on its own.

Any success on your side with that?

Reply to
Wally J

Why a freezer? Why a fridge for a month?

Avocados are famous but you might have missed it. You put 3 tooth picks in one, pointed side down so it sits over a glass almost filled with water and after a few weeks it will probably sprout. I had a sprout that was 2 feet tall, but I didn't plant it

You don't list cherries. I've been spitting cherry pits onto my lawn for years and not one of them has grown into a tree.

Reply to
micky

Taters - cut their eyes out and plant them. Garlic - plant a clove in fall - harvest in August ish. For a few years our accidental < self seeded > cherry tomatoes were the best ever ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

Think of it like IP. Farmer Jones wants to sell you an apple. He does not want to sell you seeds that allow you to grow your own apples.

That's the controversial hi-tech version but the problem has been around for a long time.

Reply to
rbowman

micky snipped-for-privacy@fmguy.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

For what it's worth>>>>

About the avocado, many years ago, my son did the three toothpic with bottom down into a glass of water, and put it on his bedroom window sill. At some point, the thing grew about a two inch root while still in the water glass and still on his window sill. About a year later, my son had moved into his own apartment. While cleaning up his vacated bedroom, we noticed the avocado in the glass of water was missing. We thought he took him with him.

About six months later, we were cultivating the flower bed outside where his bedroom was, and saw there was a six foot avocado tree. We surmised what happened was that at some point the, after the avocado had grown roots while still in the glass with water, had somehow falled out the window and landed in the flower bed just outside his bedroom window, and had been growing for at least a year.

I read that avocado trees were very bad to have growing next to a building's foundation. Since the tree was almost six feet tall after only a year or so (and very healthy), I was afraid that the roots would eventually comprimise the home's foundation, I cut the tree down.

I wish I hadn't. I love avocados. Plain, in dips, in sandwiches (esp. BLTs), whatever.

Reply to
Boris

It certainly has. A lot of hybrids won't reproduce.

And in the case of apples, their genetics is a little weird. If you plant an apple seed, you've got a 1:80,000 chance of its fruit even being palatable, let alone anything like the original apple.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

<snip>

Some seeds won't germinate unless they've been through a freeze cycle (i.e. winter).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

You sound like a disinformation spreader. How dare you have an opinion outside of the USDA/BigFarma narrative. The GMO seeds are safe and effective.

Reply to
Ben Verified - ✅

A knife is either a weapon or a tool depending on who's holding it.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Here's a link - some good suggestions for giving-it-a-try :

You might not end up with award-winning fruit but you might grow a good hearty tree to graft onto or to enjoy the blossoms..

Also - don't ignore the humble crabapple - often growing wild or in parks and cemeteries - very useful little forage fruit.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

So it's spring. They are so clever.