Mildly OT: Suggestions for a new pocket knife

Yeah, my trusty ol' Kershaw "Grant County" model 3100 lock knife with a 1-7/8" blade and black ABS handle:

finally outlived its usefulness after 20 years of refusing to become lost like every other knife I've ever owned. The blade lock mechanism is completely worn out and no longer works, and I've had way too many close calls with that thing giving way and threatening to slice up my fingers. The cross-hatching on the handle is also worn completely smooth, and while I liked that when it was new, I'm not sure I'd go for that again.

What are your favorite candidates for a similar replacement? I like that style; a single blade lock knife with no frills. Nothing multi-blade or fancy for me. I could stand to go a little larger, but not by much; probably under

4" total closed length. I can't stand carrying too much junk in my pockets!

I think Kershaw is a fine brand and I've heard lots of good things about them, but I haven't been overly impressed by the blade's ability to keep an edge. I'd like to take the quality of the steel into consideration on this next purchase. Any thoughts or suggestions there?

Reply to
Steve Turner

Kershaw knife. A little larger than the one you referenced but looks exactly like it. Mine is 3.5" closed, big enough to wrap 3 of my fingers around when opened. Mine was made in Japan and I have been very happy with it however I noticed also that the one you referenced is Chinese. Mine has kept an edge better than any of my previous Bucks. Is your current one Chineese also?

Keep in mind also that my blade lock has been marginal at times, I found a build up of pocket lint to be the culprit, you might want to take a look into that.

Reply to
Leon

Nope, mine was made in Japan. Looks like the new Coral Creek models are made in China as well.

Yeah, pocket lint has caused that issue for me in the past, but I'm afraid at this point keeping the lock mechanism clean no longer does the trick.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I don't know anything about knives, but if you're replacing one you've had for 20yrs, I'd suggest going as high end as you can. Seems to me, for guys like you, a pocket knife is the tool equivalent of the dog.

Reply to
-MIKE-

different people who like certain things about them. Highly personal. Mine was given to me a few years back and has lived in a lightweight Gortex pouch on my belt ever since. It's one-hand operated and has done everything I have wanted it to do. If I lost it, I'd want the same knife again. It's nothing fancy, well-made and matches the black that Festool uses. *smirk*

mileage WILL vary.

Reply to
Robatoy

-MIKE- wrote in news:i87kio$hfi$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

The problem with getting a "good" knife is that you'll lose it. I've been in the OPs situation. The "OK" knife you can find and use is better than the "good" knife you can't find.

Reply to
Brad Bruce

I've always treated the lock on a knife like the safety on a gun. Extra security but don't rely on it.

Reply to
CW

Well I certainly appreciate owning and using tools of exceptional quality, and I try to do my homework and buy the best tools I can whenever I'm in the market, but there definitely IS that specter of "you're gonna lose that damn thing!" hanging over my head! Before I got the Kershaw I'd lost a zillion pocketknives, then I got this one and it all changed. I guess they're loss proof!

I was surprised that the prices on those Kershaws that Leon and I were talking about aren't very high; around $20. At that price losing one wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I'm still pretty keen on getting something with better quality and I have to wonder if the current "made in China" versions aren't a drop down from what I already have. I wouldn't be adverse to spending closer to $50 if the quality was significantly better. That's where I was hoping somebody here might have some suggestions.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Amazon.com is a good place to research most products. Do a search on "pocket knife" or "lock knife" or whatever, pick a category, and sort on "average customer review." Then go in and read the actual reviews. Odds are very good you'll find just the knife you're looking for, and it will likely also be at (or close to) the best price you are going to find. For example, I did this and found these knives among lots of others:

Gerber 22-41052 Stag Lock-Back Double Bolster Fine Edge Pocket Knife

& Wesson SW2001 Swat Baby Liner Lock Knife

505 Knight Lockback Folding Knife

Wolf Folding Knife Damascus Captain

often research tools the same way. For example, that's how I found my Triton router, which I mounted as a table router and simply love the result.

Just Wondering

KIMOSABE

------------------------- I've always been partial to Buck.

Still have a marlin spike sailor's knife I bought over 30 years ago.

Take a look nat the "Stockman 301 Single Blade" for a simple piece of equipment.

Lew Hodgett

no drum key?

Reply to
Steve Turner

> Smith & Wesson SW2001 Swat Baby Liner Lock Knife

I didn't know Smith & Wesson made knives. Interesting; I'll have to investigate further.

had a knife very similar to this one. Bought it in 1988 and lost it about a month later. That was one of my favorites...

> I often research tools the same way. For example, that's how I found my Triton

I do the same thing. Some good pointers; thanks.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I've had a couple of Buck knives through the years and I liked them very much. However, I just looked through that entire list and didn't find anything that really struck me as "me", and I found a whole LOT of stuff that made me say "What the HELL?" I kind felt like I was shopping for a pair of tennis shoes. Thanks anyway though. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Heh!

I'd send the knife to the manufacturer with a note about how long you've had it, how happy you are with it, and the fondness for the little fellow that has grown so much that it's almost a member of your family. Going on, ask if it can be restored to its original beauty and utility and cost be damned!

I'd bet a fulsome letter will get you a new knife. For free.

Reply to
HeyBub

They don't. They contract them out and have their name on them. Last one I saw was made in Japan. This was years ago so it wouldn't surprise me if they are now made in China. Winchester and Remington do/ have done the same.

Reply to
CW

Yeah, I looked at some sites that had a whole host of "Smith & Wesson" knives. I was suitably underwhelmed.

However, I think I may have just found the knife of my dreams:

Solingen steel, exotic hardwood handle (whatever "Thuya" wood is...), single blade lock knife with a nice conservative design, one that doesn't look like something out of a dang science fiction movie. Very nice! Now if I can just get past the cost: $155! I did find it for around $115 on eBay, and that got me kinda fingering the "Buy It Now" button, but then my wife had to walk in and quiz me about what I was doing. She gave me that "over the top of the reading glasses, with raised eyebrows" look, so that kinda took the wind out of my sails... :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

>>> What, no drum key?

I think I saw a tuning fork, though. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I know that Case will do that. I would bet that Kershaw would to. Good idea.

Reply to
CW

> German-made, Solingen steel, exotic hardwood handle (whatever "Thuya" wood

I had a Boker at one time. If they still make them like they used to, you will be happy with it. Bought mine in Germany nearly 30 years ago.

Reply to
CW