Mildly OT: Suggestions for a new pocket knife

I like the Gerber paraframe. Solid and easy to clean. Plus, I sent one back to get a new screw and spacer, and Gerber sent me new knife.

sam

road from me. The REI pages show quite a few that look pretty good to me, and a lot cheaper than the Boker I was looking at. :-) I'm kinda partial to this one:

Steve Turner

From their site: Limited Lifetime Warranty Kershaw products are guaranteed for the lifetime of the original owner to be free of defects when received from the factory. Any product we find to be defective in its original material, construction, or workmanship will be repaired or replaced with the same item or one of equal value at no charge. (Of course, normal wear, abuse such as prying with the knife, or neglect are excluded from this non-transferable warranty.) For warranty service, please return product via UPS or insured mail. Include your name, address, telephone number, and a short explanation of the warranty service requested to the address below. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Kai USA ltd., Kershaw Knives WARRANTY DEPARTMENT

18600 SW Teton Avenue Tualatin, OR 97062
Reply to
willshak

I've carried a pocket knife since highschool over 40 years ago. The one in my left pocket is a MeyerCo "Stingray" assisted opening drop point knife. Clipped to my left pocket is a Bessey folding utility knife. For the last two years most often it's the Bessey that gets used.

The Bessey knife came be seen at:

to the info at the site above the blade does open easily with one hand and it is not necessary to press the blade lock release lever.

Reply to
Nova

That very same knife is available under the Husky (Home Despot) brand.... at least the mechanics of it. I'm thinking more of it as a promo item than an example of Bessey's quality.

Reply to
Robatoy

I have a couple of Husky knives. They do not have a rubberized handle, the thumb rest on the back of the blade or a compartment for blade storage. Those features I find quite useful.

Reply to
Nova

I went to Olfa LLB black blades in their respective handles some time ago. I'm very happy with those. They don't have the strength of a good lath knife, but they sure are sharp. Are the Husky parts interchangeable with the Bessey, you think?

Reply to
Robatoy

Comparing the Husky and the Bessey side by side I'd say the steel mechanism is probably made by the same company. The Bessey's torx head screws are in a slightly different position and the Bessey has additional machining. Other than the blade, I don't think the parts would be interchangeable.

Reply to
Nova

road from me.

cheaper than the

time.

sam

Contrary to what the article says, Bessey does not make these. They are made in China and you can buy them with various handles and with various names on them. Mine is a Sheffield.

Reply to
CW

I use the Olfa black snap off blades too. I believe they're sharper and the edges on them last longer too.

Reply to
Upscale

Princess Auto often has some really good prices on black Olfa blades.... really good pricing.

Reply to
Robatoy

In all honesty, I've never been to a Princess Auto. No particular reason really, just that there isn't one anywhere around my neck of the woods.

Reply to
Upscale

You're not missing much. The place just stinks of cheap Chinese rubber.

Reply to
Robatoy

Gee, who else do we know in Tualatin?

Reply to
Steve

FWIW I have had several Buck knives. I liked them when new but all of them seemed to loosen up and become sloppy. The Kershaw has remained tight.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Leon

The stickler here may be the statement that the knife has a lifetime warranty when "received" from the factory. I think that reads if you buy direct from Kershaw, not from a retailer.

Reply to
Leon

Hey you and I both like the Kershaw knife.... with the analogy of $20 is not much if you loose the knife, if the quality of the Chinese Kershaw is not what you expected, loose the knife.

Reply to
Leon

Must have slipped past me all these years. Wouldn't be the first time! :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner