Straighten installed pocket door frame?

Hello,

I purchased a preassembled pocket door frame from the Borg and installed it. Then I noticed when I installed my door that the two sides of the split jamb are both bowed in the same direction (I checked that the door itself is straight). So the door scrapes slightly on one side, and the other side gapes a bit.

Is there any way to straighten the split jamb now that it is installed? I have wallboard and plaster affixed on one side, but the other side is still open. The side jambs are metal C-channel with wood trim, but apparently it is fairly flimsy, and the wallboard doesn't stiffen it enough to remove the bow.

One idea I had was to attach the head jamb to the header at the point where the split jamb meets the head jamb. Then if I can tighten that connection, it should pull the split jamb straight. It shouldn't take too much force, as I can easily push the split jamb straight. Any thoughts on how to make such a connection?

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Did you bend it when you installed it? If not, the borg owes you a straight assembly. You might be wise to check other units in the store and see if it is a generic problem. Talk to the store manager first for authorization, etc.

If the bow is due to something like excess pressure on the top such as putting a 80" part in a 79 3/4" space then the solution is obvious. Give it more room. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Not sure where it is rubbing in the top or the pocket side and I have never installed a kit I made my owne but one trick i used to keep the jam from the door was to use a length of pine that had a natural crook in it placing the concave side toward the door nailing it straight as it tries to curve it self back it pulls the jam open.

Reply to
GVecere

True, they owe me a straight assembly, and next time I'll check before installing. However, at this point, since the pocket door frame is installed, I'm pretty heavily invested in this particular assembly, and ripping it out would be prohibitive. It does work, it just scrapes a little in the middle of one side. I'm just wondering if there are any measures I can take to straighten it before closing up the wall.

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney