Correct Jointer Knife Bevel Angle?

What is the optimum bevel angle for a jointer knife??

Do different angles work better for different types of woods??

Thanks

Reply to
stoutman

One more thing...

Make a micro bevel or No micro bevel?? Optimum bevel angle for micro bevel??

Reply to
stoutman

It depends on your jointer. Different machines hold the knives at different angles to the work. You need at least 5 degrees or so of clearance, and when the bevel is on the back side of the blade the clearance angle is determined by the angle of the bevel.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Well now, assuming you mean a power jointer, it is basically a 'bevel down' plane so the bevel angle doesn't affect the angle of cut, only the clearance angle. I would fully expect anything between 25 and 35 degrees to work just fine. A microbevel shouldn't matter, but might make it easier to get a good edge.

OTOH, I am just theorizing, not having tried different angles on such a machine.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

yep.

Thanks !

I started sharpening my own knives and I wasn't sure how critical the angle was.

Reply to
stoutman

Just this weekend I did my jointer and planer knives on the Makita grinder; I just followed the existing bevel, did not use microbevel, and they all worked just fine. This was the first time for the jointer, and I noticed that factory grind on a DJ-20 had a micro bevel, but I think that was more of a function of expediency, as the grind above the micro bevel was really rough, and it would seem easier just to redo the micro bevel, but I made an executive decision and kept the original bevel. Mutt

Reply to
Pig

if you're just starting, stick with the factory angle.

Reply to
bridger