Jointer knife tolerances?

Just purchased a dial indicator with the magnetic base and started checking my tools. What do most wooddorkers allow for jointer knife tolerances from blade to blade relative to outfeed table.

Also, what about from left to right (parallelism?) along the same knife relative to outfeed table?

I checked mine and one knife was 1/1000" above the out feed table and two were 2/1000" below the outfeed table.

I understand that the closer the better, but at what point does a mis-set knife become a problem.

Thanks.

Reply to
stoutman

When the results are below your expectations. I'm not trying to be glib, here. There's rarely any machine that's going to be set up to perfection. You COULD hone the blades in a much maligned procedure, that involves running the jointer with a stone held over the head...I do that, to the dismay of some of the posters here. It works for me, but others are convinced it's a bogus procedure that ruins the edges. They can come up with all sorts of logical sounding reasons, but I've gone more than a year on the same set of blades and the results are great and the blades are still quite sharp (they'll nick a fingernail).

Bottom line is: getting them adjusted as well as you can and if you see no problems with the finish, that's "good enough".

Dave

Reply to
David

How much would a knife have to be out of alignment with the outfeedtable before snipe becomes visible?

5/1000" 5/100" ??

Reply to
stoutman

If you don't have your outfeed fence aligned to within .005, you'll get some noticeable snipe. .05 is HUGE.

Dave

Reply to
David