Internal door - jammed shut - handle not operating latch

Tried taking door handle off and turning with pliars etc but it just seem to turn enough to open the latch.

What are my options? All I can see at the moment is kick the door in....

Reply to
paulfoel

Prise off the bead on the door frame and cut the tongue of the lock with a hacksaw blade. Or push it back into the door if possible.

Reply to
harry

Credit card or paint scraper?

Reply to
stuart noble

Or palette knife & push. Garden wire from the opposite side and pull.

If I had to damage anything it would be a 1" strip of the door jam.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

If the hinges work loose the door may hang too far into the latch. Try pushing the door toward the hinges and see if it'll open then. IYSWIM.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

This is a very common problem, I carry 2 of each length & finish of mortice latch in the van. Probably do up to a dozen a year.

I've never managed to get one to retract via the handle aperture.

Prise the door jamb strip off, they are usually nailed on. It's going to do a bit of paint damage.

Then get a pry bar into the gap between door & jamb, force it open as much as possible, which won't be much, then use a hacksaw blade to force the latch back.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

1 - If there are no other unmentioned complications and all that's happened is that the latch innards have collapsed: 2 - Take the doorstop off and lever the latch bolt back with a screwdriver or suitable tool. 3 - If that fails. with the doorstop off, use a hacksaw blade and cut through the latch bolt itself between the door and the frame. 4 - If the doorstops are machined into the frame and cannot be removed, then file off the end peening of the hinge pins and knock the pins out with a drift. 5 - Or, you could simply use a sharp wood chisel and a hammer (or mallet for the purists) and cut the stop away from around the latch bolt and cut it off as 3 above.

If there are any other complications then please let is know.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I've only come across one where the doorstop was machined into the frame & the Bosch PMF180 multi tool worked a treat. Very thin kerf, little bit of filler afterwards, job done.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

An angle grinder would be better. More fun, at least...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Happened to me recently. I have to chisel out the door frame around the latch. Got the door opened, repaired the frame with wood filler and repainted. And a new door latch!

Reply to
John Benn

As in taking off the handle and turning the bar? I suspect I would have managed a couple of weeks ago when I went out into the garden and the door slammed behind me, disconnecting the handle from the bar in the sashlock. Only problem was that my tools were inside and I was outside!

Had to climb over the hedge and get teh neighbour to let me through to the front.

It turned out that the bar had cut off short so had had dropped away from one handle and had disappeared into the other, so easy to open from the other side. Decided it was time for a whole new handle.

Reply to
GMM

when a new bar would have done ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

You didn't have a Swiss Army Knife on you? :-)

No, I meant when the latch is broken. I've often tried taking the handle off, removing the bar, then trying to retract the latch. Hasn't worked.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One of those cards that sim cards come in???

Reply to
junofield123

Did you not bother to look at the date?

I reckon that he will have put the boot in by now. ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

:) A pair of kitchen knives works, to push the tongue back

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Has this person been locked in the room for 18 months? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The kitchen knives worked, I just opened my jammed ass door with that method. Man I was surprised.

Reply to
armandovalencia084

Has your missus been locked in there for three years?

Reply to
Graham.

thod. Man I was surprised.

Reply to