Mains powered circular saw for a left-hander

Hi All I am thinking of getting a circular saw (185mm) for a few jobs around the place. I am plenty 'handy' enough but for woodworking have tended to stick to hand tools for most of the things I need to do.
Apart from the fact that they are scary things, one other consideration for me is that I am left handed, and have a small and somewhat 'malformed' right hand (Poland's Syndrome, if anyone is interested).
This normally causes me no problems, but I am aware that tools like this are increasingly ergonomically designed for the majority right-handed folk. My right hand has less strength than my left and sometimes it is awkward for me to 'hold a handle and press a button' with it at the same time - stuff like that.
Are there any left-handers here who can offer opinions about designs that are better suited (or less ill-suited) to the sinister amongst us?
FWIW I was thinking of the Evolution Rage saw, which I have seen get good press here.
Thanks J^n

Ah, like Jeremy Beadle had.

I'd not thought of a circular saw or other power tools as being "handed", but I can see the problem. I wonder whether holding a circular saw and guiding it along a marked line is something that *normally* can be done with the "wrong" hand. The fact that your "wrong" hand is weakened tips the balance even more strongly in favour of you having to use your left hand.
I wonder whethe Poland Syndrome and handedness go [sorry for this unintentional pun] hand-in-hand: is the fact that your left side is your dominant side a consequence of your right hand not developing?
It's a shame that the saw is isn't designed so the handle and guide can be fitted on the opposite side. Given that left-handed people are a sizeable minority, I wonder if any tool manufacturers sell replacement handles and guides that are the opposite way round.
Handedness is an interesting thing. I had lunch with a woman who ate with her fork in her right hand and her knife in the left. I was puzzled because I'd earlier seen her writing with her right hand. I asked her and she looked bewildered: she was evidently so used to eating with her fork in her right hand for any food that didn't require a knife that she hadn't learned to eat with fork in left and knife in right, and instinctively used her knife (on the rarer occasions) in the opposite hand to the one she habitually used her fork in.
My mum is left handed but was taught to use her fork in the left hand as a right-hander would do because it would not stand out as much: at 82, she's old enough to have had left-handedness stigmatised at school, though not to the extent that she holds a pen in her left hand but still sloping to the right as a right-hander would do; I've seen a lot of people contorting their left hand so as to get the pen to slope to the right, usually involving putting the hand *above* the line of writing rather than to the left of it. Instead, Mum holds her pen in an exact mirror image of the way I would.
NY formulated the question :

Interesting, very!
I was born a sinister, forced at school to use my right hand to write with by tying my left behind my back. At 71 it now feels very odd to try to even try write with my left, but most other things I can happily do with either hand. I am left permanently confused by left and right, because I don't have a natural main hand. I have to think for a while before laying out knives and forks at the table. I use most tools with which ever hand suits the easiest access, or in repetitive jobs often just change hands to rest one or the other. Picking up a handed item like a circular saw, I would need to test it with both hands, to see which hand worked best. I get confused when shaking hands with someone as to which hand to offer and my hand writing has always been terrible. I can though, beat most people with hunt and peck on the keyboard.
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Our lad is left-handed. No stigma nowadays, of course, but it has taken a long time to get him to stop getting ink all over his hand as it moves across what he's just written :-)

That was more of a problem when people wrote with slow-drying fountain-pen ink. Nowadays with quick-drying Biro ink, it's *less* of a problem, most of the time. I can understand why in fountain pen days, left-handers used to put their hand above the line of writing so the left side of the hand and the little finger, which take the weight of the hand as you write, didn't smear the ink.
I went to school with one girl who was left-handed and gripped the pen between the first and last joints of her forefinger and middle finger
https://s22.postimg.cc/kgk5h5o35/20180620_135624.jpg , without using her thumb, rather than between thumb and middle finger with forefinger on top
https://s22.postimg.cc/4v2tx7rkh/20180620_135659.jpg , as most people do. That looked a *lot* more weird than the fact she was writing with her left hand. Mind you, she took all the weight of her hand on the end of her little finger, which allowed her to keep the base of her hand clear of the paper to avoid it smearing the ink.
I've also seen someone holding their pen with only the thumb and forefinger touching it and the middle finger tucked back
https://s22.postimg.cc/wwgvb59s1/20180620_140838.jpg which looks equally uncomfortable.
But each to their own - whatever people find easiest.
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 14:12:56 +0100, NY wrote:

We must be a very odd family...we are all right handed but...
SWMBO always uses fork in right hand, knife in left. So does one of our sons.
SWMBO and I are both rodentially ambidextrous. We both have the mouse buttons mirror imaged.
I hold a pen between thumb and forefinger, with all finger joints bent. I get lots of comments but that's how I've always done it.
Bob Eager expressed precisely :

It don't know what is the correct way, but I would hold one at the tip, between first, second finger and thumb, with the top resting in the crook of hand/thumb. I still have a sort of groove below the tip joint of my second finger from the pen pressure.
I would sometimes swap to the alternative of - pen upper section resting in the crook of first and second finger, to take the pressure off that groove.
Yes, in my early years I was expected to use a pen and ink well at school, once I had progresses from pencils. Only in my teens did I progress to a Biro.
@eager.cx says...

Same here. I'm always fascinated by the way most folk younger than me grasp a pen ...
--

Terry

Terry Casey formulated on Wednesday :

They don't now do anything like as much hand writing as we had to do at school, the world runs on keyboard entries now. From my point of view, I am much happier on a keyboard, than with a pen - I no longer get the cramps and it is much more legible lol .
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 15:29:47 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

How about mouse/trackpads ?
sudden thought: I wonder if Android/iOS can be set up for lefties ? Currently it seems to be set up for holding the phone in the left hand, and using the right to tap.
Sounds irrelevant, until you realise that cover-cases are handed too ...
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 14:41:23 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

https://lifehacker.com/enable-androids-secret-right-to-left-layout-if- youre-le-1676267178
:)
Jethro_uk wrote on 20/06/2018 :

I use those right handed.
On 20/06/2018 16:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I use either hand depending on where the tea is.

When I use a cover-case (eg on my wife's phone) I fold the cover back under the phone and then hold the phone in my left hand while using my right index finger (not my thumb!!!!!!!!!) to select icons or type at the on-screen keyboard. I'd expect a leftie to do exactly the same, though probably with opposite hands.

That’s actually a brain fart.

No they cant. iphones particularly have a few physical switches on the edge of the phones.
Same with the watch.

Not really, that op isnt really handed.

But you can certainly get cover cases that are other handed.
On 20/06/2018 15:41, Jethro_uk wrote:

Buy one that is hinged at the bottom?
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk says...

These days, my handwriting is terrible!
Lack of practice, I suppose.
I've tracked down my fountain pen for use when I have to fill in anything important - usually anything I don't have to read myself!
But then, I've always liked the control that a fountain pen gives you ...
--

Terry

My handwriting is appalling. It was never very good - one of my first school reports referred to the quality of my handwriting which was atrocious, except that my parents and I had great difficult reading what the English teacher had written on my report :-)
After a lot of practice, I got my writing reasonably OK, but at the expense of being slow: in exams under time pressures it reverted to atrocious.
Since I've used a computer for most of what I write - I rarely write letters to anyone when emails are easier and quicker to send and receive - my writing has deteriorated again, so I have to take great care to slow down when filling in a paper form or addressing an envelope.
I've still got my old cartridge pen. I found true fountain pens, filled from a bottle of Quink, just too messy, though the smell of that ink takes me straight back to the Lower Fourth at school, sitting in one of those desks which had the seat joined onto the desk, and could be slid across the floor on runners (*). But a cartridge is a good compromise. I prefer an ink pen to a biro. Water-based ink pens (Pentel, Rollerball etc) are easier because the ball moves more freely over the page than for a biro.
(*) One of the "masters" (teachers) at school had been a boy there 15 years earlier and he had a foot in both camps when it came to allegiance, so he told us how "when I were a lad" they used to all slide their desks-and-seats towards the front, in unison, whenever the teacher's back was turned. They did it so gradually that like the legendary "boiling frogs" experiment, the master didn't notice what was happening, The goal was to have the master penned into a corner by the end of the lesson :-)
NY was thinking very hard :

:')

I thought it was just me. Because I was never proud of my handwriting, I took to using a computer perhaps earlier than many. As I also enjoyed producing a reasonable looking document. Not just a chore. And my handwriting has gone downhill ever since.
--
*And the cardiologist' s diet: - If it tastes good spit it out.