Circular Saw - Right or Left Side Blade ?

It's time to replace my old circular saw and I see that there are saws with blades on both sides. The saws with blades on one side appear to be for framing, and the others, I guess, are for general work. The old Porter Cable I inherited has the blade on the right side, and this is what I'm used to. Thinking about typical uses, I see advantages and disadvantages for each. Can someone tell me more about the differences? BTW, I'm right handed.

- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

I have never seen one with the blade on the left. That's really bizarre. What's the point????

Actually, I'd like one with a blade on BOTH sides. That way I could cut two boards at the same time

Happy Turkey Day

------------------

Reply to
ß©©ß

One way of thinking is direct drive right blade saws are best for for righties, left blade saws for lefties. Idea is, if you hold a piece with your left hand, the larger portion of the base is contacting the wood (for righties). But then, the more robust worm drive saws preferred by framers tend to be left blade, although they are better balanced and the sole plates are different. Go figure.

Reply to
Joe Bobst

"?©ß"

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My corded saw has the blade on the right and my battery saw has the blade on the left.

Reply to
SQLit

I was thinking about that. You're right about the plate being on the preferred side (on the supported or main piece of wood rather than on the scrap) when the blade is on the right, but then the blade is obscured by the saw and it's harder to see your line. I guess there's no way around that.

- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

Left sided saws cut off your nuts on kickback, rightsided cut off your foreman that was=A0to close PC is good, get the ' Foreman " model, or the " nut " model;

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
ß©©ß

We call them male and female sawblades here. One is good for cutting tenons and the other for grooves, I forget which since they are more a hassle than they are worth.. You have to store the sawblades in separate boxes or else they tend to grab onto each other and its darn difficult to pull those sharp teeth apart. But then with a bit of luck you get a lot of little sawlets good for the Dremel saw attachment.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Reply to
Art Todesco

The benifit of having the blade on the left side is that you can SEE it when you are cutting if you are right handed. Most pro saws have the blade on the left because they use it a lot. The consumer saws are on the right because it is preceived to be "safer" for the inept homeowner to use. On the right requires you to crane your neck over to the right, looking over the saw, to see where the blade is cutting. Not the best for accurate cuts.

Reply to
Inspector D

If the saw directs the sawdust out the side of the blade housing, using a right blade/right hand would direct it away from the user.

Reply to
Andy Asberry