Tool Identification

Perhaps this is trivia, but here goes. I've got a copy of an article from the Waukesha (something) newspaper. Someone stole some stuff and this is the pertient sentence:

"The stolen items included boring bars, turning toll bushers and air drills, according to the complaint."

What is a "turning toll busher?" Or is this a typo?

Thanks.

-- Herb Stein snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

Reply to
Herb Stein

Probly just a typo for "turning tool bushings"--these would be reducing sleeves that allow round shank tooling having a diameter smaller than the maximum machine capacity to be used in the turret of a metal cutting lathe.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Google it, my man! Why bother asking? Boring bars and air drills are real tools. "Turning toll bushers" Memo to self: keep off the keyboard whilst drinking heavily.

Reply to
Roger

Always good to get advice in this forum. The above was the exact quote from the newspaper. I know about boring bars and air drills. Sheeeesh.

-- Herb Stein snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

Reply to
Herb Stein

Thanks! I'm going with that. I suppose the newspaper no longer has a proofreader and relies on a spell-check program.

-- Herb Stein snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

Reply to
Herb Stein

It never ceases to amaze me why people waste their time posting on newsgroups, only to refer people to google. By now EVERYONE knows that google exists, and anyone that has used it enough also knows that using google is like finding a needle in a haystack most of the time. Maybe YOU worship google, and maybe you also worship those telephone services where you punch 100+ numbers to finally get a recording. I personally like talking to a real person.

And just for your information, I tried google For "turning toll bushers" I got zero results They told me to look at turning tollbusters (huh)

Entering turning toll bushers (without the " ") gave me 11 results of which none were even close.

I think PrecisionMachinisT got it right. That sure was easier than google.

Mark

------------

Reply to
maradcliff

Mark, this is a good point. An amazing number of people still don't know how to *use* google, even tho they have all heard of it. I agree, that unless the term is spelled right, it is useless, tho it tries to re-spell it for you. The secret to using google and avoiding needle in haystack answers is how you use restricted phrases, inside quotes. I can get almost any search to reduce from thousands to just a dozen or so answers, by qualifying the search when you get to many answers. Plus, you can search newsgroups with good effect with google, that often gives more relevant answers than the standard web or image search.

Reply to
Roger

So mark what exactly are "turning tollbusters"? Googling that leads right back to here, so feel proud, you have created a Google link. "Tollbusters" are people who don't like toll roads. Several articles about them and you'd think at least one of them would also contain the word "turning". I've heard several 'old timers' refer to shim washers as 'bushers' but I can't remember any of them using that term for shaft bushings.

Reply to
lurking licker

Maybe they meant something like these

or parts for them...............