Mains powered circular saw for a left-hander

I mouse with my left hand as it's supposed to be done - buttons swapped too. Has caused a minor flap when I've done some tech tests, and I ask for the PC to be switched. Especially if they have provided a contoured mouse.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Circular saws are not especially "handed" as such since the handles are designed to work with either hand.

They have to chose which side the blade is on with respect to the body, Oddly most cordless circular saws opt for the other orientation...

Reply to
John Rumm

If you've ever seen him attempt any practical task involving tools, cack handed is more like it. But then he is a journalist. Like so many can write about many things, but not actually do them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Crikey. First person I've ever heard admit to watching Grand Tour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I resemble that comment...

First school forced me to write with the "right" hand... So that is the way I still do it (badly) today. However it still feels more natural to eat left handed. Tools etc I can generally use both ways even though I am marginally more right handed now.

Reply to
John Rumm

Bob Eager expressed precisely :

It don't know what is the correct way, but I would hold one at the tip, between first, second finger and thumb, with the top resting in the crook of hand/thumb. I still have a sort of groove below the tip joint of my second finger from the pen pressure.

I would sometimes swap to the alternative of - pen upper section resting in the crook of first and second finger, to take the pressure off that groove.

Yes, in my early years I was expected to use a pen and ink well at school, once I had progresses from pencils. Only in my teens did I progress to a Biro.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Same here. I'm always fascinated by the way most folk younger than me grasp a pen ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

Switches ? Safety catches ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Terry Casey formulated on Wednesday :

They don't now do anything like as much hand writing as we had to do at school, the world runs on keyboard entries now. From my point of view, I am much happier on a keyboard, than with a pen - I no longer get the cramps and it is much more legible lol .

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Odd, they seem to do a number of left-handed cordless saws, but there is a lack of corded ones.

I know they are available, because my dad has one - some no-name, cheapo that he bought when his old one wasn't available (I had it!) No problem for him as he is ambidextrous - in fact he was left handed, but forced to use his right.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

How about mouse/trackpads ?

sudden thought: I wonder if Android/iOS can be set up for lefties ? Currently it seems to be set up for holding the phone in the left hand, and using the right to tap.

Sounds irrelevant, until you realise that cover-cases are handed too ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

youre-le-1676267178

:)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Odd really, when in many cases the fixed power tool can be more dangerous as it leave both hands free to move close to the blade. A hand-held circular saw need at least one hand on the main handle safely out of the way. (and probably two if its a bigger saw)

Reply to
John Rumm

Left handers (I am one) have learned to manage in the mostly RH world.

Reply to
harry

Jethro_uk wrote on 20/06/2018 :

I use those right handed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

When I use a cover-case (eg on my wife's phone) I fold the cover back under the phone and then hold the phone in my left hand while using my right index finger (not my thumb!!!!!!!!!) to select icons or type at the on-screen keyboard. I'd expect a leftie to do exactly the same, though probably with opposite hands.

Reply to
NY

When I'm cutting things on my sliding saw, they are clamped down. Only one hand needed to operate it - and that's on the handle, well away from the blade.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Though they have a good moan about it. I was with someone the other day and we were walking up to a front door to ring the bell. Now doorbells are usually on the opposite side to hinges, and hinges can be on either side. I tend to use whichever hand is closer to ring the bell, depending on which side of the frame the bell is. This guy, who was left handed, had a good moan because the doorbell was on the right-hand side and he'd have to use his left hand across his body. WTF didn't he use his right hand: that's not a precision action that requires the dominant hand.

Sometimes you adapt to suit the environment. I change gear with my left hand because that's the side that the gear lever is in a RHD car. It may be easier to use my right hand (in an LHD car, obviously!) but that doesn't mean I complain. I've never driven a manual LHD car, so I don't know if it's any easier for a rightie using their left hand than in an RHD car to use their left. It wasn't exactly a problem using an automatic selector with my right hand, though in an automatic you move that much less frequently: when setting off, reversing, parking - and I also shift into neutral when I stop in traffic so I can take my foot off the footbrake (*).

Writing is a problem for lefties - it's easier to smudge the ink. A shaped, asymmetric mouse may feel uncomfortable in the left hand if it's been designed for the right. When I was required to use a leftie's mouse, it was easier to use my left hand than to re-route the cable so it was on my right, though I did temporarily set it to left button = left-click - and write myself a big note to remind me to set it back afterwards! It's interesting which actions you instinctively expect to be mirror-imaged and which not: it never occurs to me to left-click with my right (index) finger when mousing with my left hand, but the first time I drove an LHD car I instinctively expected the indicator and wiper stalks to be mirrored on an LHD car - weird distinction in my brain ;-)

(*) My pet hate, which I would penalise with slow strangulation, is people who sit in traffic with their brake lights glaring in your face (especially at night when they are much brighter than the dark surroundings) because they can't be bothered to apply the handbrake and go into neutral. Unless I anticipate being stopped for less than five seconds, I apply the handbrake and come off the footbrake, and shift into neutral.

Reply to
NY

Not usually a problem on modern saws, but yup sometimes the trigger release was single sided on older saws.

All my current ones have a control you can nudge from either side.

Reply to
John Rumm

These days, my handwriting is terrible!

Lack of practice, I suppose.

I've tracked down my fountain pen for use when I have to fill in anything important - usually anything I don't have to read myself!

But then, I've always liked the control that a fountain pen gives you ...

Reply to
Terry Casey