Something in the air ? Now what ?!?!?!?!

Following ongoing problems with my dehumidifier (put to one side for now) I was doing the "hoovering" (well, "Vaxing" :) ) earlier. It's a 4 year old bagless Vax, and I keep the motor filters clean.

About 3 minutes in, there's a distinct electrical motor overheating smell. I stopped immediately, and checked and recleaned the filter - which came out grey, not the usual black - so not that heavily clogged.

I ran the cleaner without the dust cylinder, so could feel/smell the motor working directly. That seems fine - no smell after running for a minute.

So I'm hoping the filter was somehow super clogged.

But when SWMBO asked how long we'd had the thing, I remembered we got it the same week as the dehumidifier ....

My dad used to say of such things "there must be something in the air". Like the time we had a car which was behaving oddly. Turned out to be the condenser ... the reason it was notable is my dad said in 20 years he'd never changed a condenser. After that we probably had 4 or 5 in a few months.

(See also fluorescent tubes ....)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Of course you might have taken up some printer toner. That will kill most cleaners in under 1 minute. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

From your subject line I assumed you were going to address the chronic lack of CO2 we have currently. This will push up the price of fizzy water and lemonade something wicked. You can blame the Prius-driving arsewipes for this - and all the other global warming brigade wankers as well.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Is there a chronic lack of CO2 ? I had no idea. But then I don't need it for sodastream or MIG welding, or (allegedly - I remain sceptical) boosting hydroponic grows.

Surely we can just make more beer and bread, and capture the CO2.

whatever happened to *too much* CO2 ??

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You actually think the CO2 used in drinks is extracted from the atmosphere? That is as stupid as thinking a Prius doesn't produce CO2 from its exhaust.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As I recollect you put it ON its side; just once (too often) :-)

Reply to
Andrew

The BBC (??) claim that there are problems producing ammonia in the EU at the moment and this is causing the CO2 'shortage'.

Not sure how you get CO2 from ammonia unless it is a chemical by-product along the way.

Reply to
Andrew

Exactly that

Reply to
Andy Burns

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Empty shelves for some of the fizzy pop in Tesco ...

Reply to
Huge

The BBC is quoting a magazine called "Gasworld"

The article said was that it was a by-product.

Reply to
charles

So, having had a chance to investigate further, it turned out the carpet beater was jammed solid with SWMBOs hair ...

So after clearing that all out, I reassembled everything, fired up the cleaner, and at least the motor-burning smell didn't return.

Annoyingly there a faint hot-plastic smell now. Never used to be there I'm sure. However I've also discovered the *post* motor filter looks a bit grim. And (guilty conscience) it's very fine brick-dust type dust.

given it's 4 years old, and these are the original filters, £10 on a new set doesn't seem too bad.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

We had an issue a bit like that with our Henry. I discovered compacted hair inside the plastic 'bearings', which are just a moulded plastic bush into which the beater axles fits. Got hot and the plastic partially melted. New set of bearings was less than 2 quid.

Reply to
Bob Eager

New filters arrived today (bad news for the high street).

Fitted, and quite a difference ... probably picked up as much dirt again.

Reply to
Jethro_uk