Need new Circular Saw, worm drive?

I'm going to move my older Milwaukee circular saw to the panel saw area and need a new hand held saw.

Always has a 'lust' for the Skil 77HD (steel shoe) and see that they have a Mag version. Bosch also has a very well made work drive too.

These are the only companies whose worm drive saws I'm interested in.

Which one do you recommend and why?

It's a toss up for me between the Bosch and the Skil 77HD.

Reply to
Climb14er

Climb14er wrote: ...

Skil Mag.

Because it's what _I_ have, of course! :)

Actually, I have both steel and mag versions--the steel is probably at least 40 by now, it was inherited. I bought a mag probably 20 yr ago and like the lighter heft. Can't put out anything against the Bosch, just no reason to change.

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
marson

Yes, years ago when I was framing my way through college, I used the Skil HD worm drive and we used to lower it down the latter via the cord.

Now, there's a 'new' option where you have a removeable handle for fifty bucks more. I like this in my Milwaukee as it packs better in the steel case.

I tried the Skil 77Mag and while it was a little lighter, I felt the torque of the motor especially when starting it up.

This and the base that's steel is what's leaning me to the Skill 77HD.

and i definitely don't like the cordless

Reply to
Climb14er

I own the Skil and can reccomend it without hesitation. If you check customer comments on Amazon:

You will see many positive comments.

Reply to
Lawrence

You migh want o post this over in rec.woodworking....you'll get lots of response, and a lot of fun reading the paens of praise fr one brand over another....those folks can get a bit intense, but are very entertainng...

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

You better get one fast. They are now making the Skil 77 in China.

Reply to
Camperken