Not looking good for the Bosch Reaxx TS

The star-wheel doesn't get indexed by a notch at each brake application, rather only when the brakes have worn enough for the ratchet to fully index (otherwise the shoes wouldn't last a month ;-). The point about frozen adjusters is quite valid and applies to both the brakes and "parking brake". You should notice that the parking brake isn't working but if you never use it...

Reply to
krw

Did they even have anti-lock brakes when you were in the business. My

2001 GMC truck was the first vehicle I owned with ABS brakes, and they were a clear safety hazard as they failed routinely. Brake lines rusting out is also somewhat new I believe. Never had any rust out until the 3 GM vehicles I owned since 2001. So that is 100% brake line failure for GM vehicles. The fact you are/were unaware of the problem means little to me. The fact I became aware from first hand experience, and both garages I go to were also aware of it. I suspect the ABS problem has been fixed, not so sure about the brake lines, but I quit buying GM products, so won't ever have additional 1st hand experience with them. Also, someone sent me the GM recall on the ABS, and the fix was to clean the sensors. THAT didn't work, but shows there certainly was a problem, besides just my truck.

How many died from stubbing their toe, or whacking off a finger on a TS? Many thousands die in auto accidents, and many more are seriously injured, far worse than 99.999% of table saw accidents. Defective brake system would seem to be something that deserves more attention than fudging on a MPG test. (I mention stubbing toe on TS because I read here that if an idiot walks into his saw an breaks a toe, it would go down as a TS accident...)

Well, I've never been injured by a table saw in almost 60 years of usage, with no safety devices, and I know only one person that has ever been cut, and it was not serious, and he was not very handy. Wait, I also know a mechanic that got cut on a saw, also not very seriously, but he was handy, but also drunk...

Are you saying Braking systems on cars are less important than fudging on mpg stats, or having a gadget on a table saw to protect everyone from themselves?

Reply to
Jack

Or perhaps I do!

Reply to
Jack

It appears to me, from looking at rusted brake lines that they are not rusting from the inside out, but from the outside in. This would make sense as even if Brake fluid is hygroscopic, air would be needed to get them to rust. Shouldn't be too much air in brake lines. Also, someone told me they painted their brake lines with Z-bart stuff, and never had one rust out since doing that...

My guess is Stainless lines would not rust. Not sure how much pressure is in a brake line, but shouldn't be all that much. Looking around seems about a max of 2000psi, not much and easily accommodated with even thin wall stainless tubing.

Reply to
Jack

I do not think so, when I worked for the dealership, cehicles having anti lock brakes. But my 97 Chevy Silverado did and they worked as advertised on numerous occasions. But that is not to say that there was no possibility of a problem. Had this been an inherent problem or happening often there certainly would have been a campaign/recall.

I highly suspect that people dying in auto injuries is less of a result of complete brake failure.

Reply to
Leon

Parking brakes very often are the method of adjusting parking brakes, drum or disk. Many of the hand operated parking brakes on GM vehicles adjusted the drum brakes this way. And many of those had no star/screw type adjuster, they had a one way friction plate that only adjusted out.

Reply to
Leon

Works good. It catches some sawdust when exposed though.

Reply to
clare

Too late! LOL I bought a can at Lowe's and sprayed it on the gears, lift/tilt screws, and the large steel guide dowels. No more groaning when I crank the adjustment wheel quickly. I tried dry lube on all of that but it did not seem to last very long. From the factory it had grease but that caught dust all so no big deal.

Kind'a stinks though. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

That is true on Bendix and Wagner brakes, as well as DElco Moraine but not many import brakes and a lot of later model Chrysler brakes that use a "ratchet" instead of a theaded adjuster and star wheel.

see:

for one example (Chrysler)

Also, vehicles that have a star wheel adjuster up by the cyl instead of down at the bottom also adjust by emergency brake application - not backing up. Homda is an example. These are "fixed anchor" or "dual servo" brakes. Toyota works this way too. I was looking for a good picture and found this one - for a Tundra - showing very clearly it is the hand brake/parking brake that adjusts the rear drum brakes..

and this one shows the old Dodge K car and Omni style.

clare

The problem has not been fixed - and not JUST on GMs. There was ABS on my '95 Trans Sport, and on my 1995 Mystique as well

Don't know anyone personally injured on a table saw, but I know a friend who lost a few fingers to a handheld circular saw

He's not as "handy" as he used to be - - - -

Reply to
clare

You are correct. Most of the reust is from outside in - and most where the like is either running through a chassis memner, running through a clip, or is an area where mud and salt and other crap gets trapped - holding moisture to the line.

One exception was early VW Rabbits where the brake lines ran inside the car, under the "horsehair" noise cushion - which got soaked when the cowl leaked up around the windshield. The fuse panels corroded out, the brake lines rotted out, and so did the floor. Really a LOUSY design.

I even know guys who just took a tube of synthetic grease and smeared it over all the vulnerable parts. Not rocket science to prevent the failure - yet the manufacturers have not gotten it figured out yet.

Reply to
clare

correct. Mechanical failure is cited in only 10-15% of all automotive accidents (and that includes things like brake or turn signal lamps not working) with tire and wheel problems being the majority and total brake loss WAY down the list.

In the list of causes of fatal auto colisions, mechanical failure doesn't even make the top 25.

Reply to
clare

Correct. althogh MOST north anerican built GM cars DID have the star-wheel

Reply to
clare

Not as bad as some other stuff out there. And what do expect, with the main ingredient coming from a sheep???

Reply to
clare

Obviously not.

Reply to
krw

Good to know, thanks!

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

I have a 98 Dodge Ram (oxymoron, I know 8^), ABS equipped (rear axle only). Since a pickup can have a widely varying load on the rear tires, the ABS helped may rear brakes actually do some work. The truck has been reliable with the notable exception of the rear axle speed sensor failing. I would have never known except for the ABS dash light. It sure puckered my wallet when I saw it, knowing how much ABS repairs can cost, but a few bucks for a new sensor (screws into the top of the differential housing) and the peasants rejoiced.

I am a former gear head, rebuilt everything, and loved doing it, but since getting old and despising crawling under things now, I only change my own oil. Everything else gets put on hold until summer time.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

This was a few years ago, but I remember the old standby DOT 3 fluid (maybe DOT 4?) was considered permanent and was not prone to being hydroscopic. The newer fluids, synthetic (DOT 5 ?) was very prone to absorbing moisture and had to be changed regularly. Given the much higher cost and no real advantage for non-performance driving. the idea of "upgrading" soon left my thoughts. I had a number of vehicles from the 60's and 70's, all with non stainless lines. Never any problems (though these were all southwest vehicles).

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

This brings back memories!

A buddy back in college had a Floridian Rabbit, '75 I think. Total rust bucket. As the car coughed and sputtered, dropping chunks of rust onto the road, my buddies and I riding along would nod at each other and say "farfegnugen, cool!"

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

If only 1% die from brake failure, that would be 3-400 a year. If "they" completely banned the use of ALL saws, I think the lives saved would be about ZERO.

Proving someone died because their ABS system failed would be next to impossible, at least in my truck it was intermittent. Rusted lines would be easier to prove, but looking at a mangled wreck, one might expect a brake line to be ripped apart. Also, when I was a kid, and worked in a collision shop, never once do I remember anyone trying to determine if a mechanical failure caused the wreck. This may have changed, but I doubt it.

A friend of my wife ran though the side of a building and she said her gas pedal stuck. Could easily have been brake failure IMO. I believe it was a Lexus and people were suing them for stuck gas pedals.

Reply to
Jack