Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

Roland Perry gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If you seal the engine bay completely water-tight, air tends to find it difficult to get in. Engines like air. They're usually located somewhere spray finds it difficult to get to, but if you're daft enough to drive into deep enough water...

Reply to
Adrian

Reserved for unbranded alcohol fuel cells? :-)

Reply to
Rod

I know that - but TNP's crossposted an awful lot to both groups in the last year or so.

Reply to
Jules

I suspect the number's dropping slowly - car batteries needed to cope with lots of different requirements at one time, but these days engines are generally far easier to start and there's a far smaller range of engine sizes.

What's the nature of this 'electronics' in the packs? Just a couple of sensors with contacts brought out to the pack shell, or do they have any real built-in smarts? If the latter, can't the electronics be handled outside of the pack (i.e. the pack has some sort of 'barcode' dictating its parameters, and the smarts in order to handle that pack could all be integral to the vehicle rather than the battery)

Mismanagement and poor parts quality typical of most companies around that size of that time period, I think. They were big and the de-facto standard, but they were also crap. Soon as the UK car industry collapsed, so did Lucas (not sure if they held out in NZ, Australia etc.)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

In message , at 12:19:32 on Fri,

6 Jun 2008, Adrian remarked:

This subthread started because of the possibility of very low-slug batteries getting wet in a few inches of water, and then where the air-vents for these low-slung batteries might be (assuming the battery packs had been made watertight somehow).

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 12:43:24 on Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Rod remarked:

No, this particular Personal Computer didn't vibrate.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 12:44:55 on Fri, 6 Jun 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

So you don't care that someone might get an exchangeable pack with only

10 miles juice in it?

I have that exact problem with a new battery for my notebook PC.

Dell, come on down...

I've heard something like that, but only a tiny fraction end up being second sourced.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

07:34:42 on Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Jules remarked:

I don't see that for cars made in the last 20 years there's any need for batteries other than for ranges like 0-1000cc, 1100-1800, 1900-2500,

3000+
Reply to
Roland Perry

Like wireless accumulators in the 1930s? Perhaps Comet would like to rediscover their roots!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

You may be right, but my anecdata suggests TNP may have a point: I took our Mitsubishi Carisma to have new gear linkage bushings fitted. The mechanic said, "These boxes are identical to the VW ones of the same age, so I'll use the VW parts instead of the Mitsubishi ones - I have them in stock and they're cheaper."

TL

Reply to
The Luggage
[...]

I think the pack would need more than its standard parameters. It would need some sort of datalogging, giving hours of use, hours on charge, and most importantly, a way of measuring the available performance of the pack. This would probably be generated from some historical measurement of charge against power drawn. This would enable the vehicle management system to see if a particular pack didn't cope with high drain work, and to flag to the owner (of the pack or vehicle as appropriate) that a particular pack was about to fail.

TL

Reply to
The Luggage

Roland Perry gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You've not seen under the bonnet of many recent cars, have you?

Even on stuff where space isn't absolutely critical, it can be difficult. The battery on the Saab is nominally the common 069 fitment. Nominally. You have to be VERY careful on brand, as many just plain don't fit, because the OEM one is narrower than the standard. The one I bought, I was lucky. It's a very tight squeeze, but just about fits, with the exhaust touching the heatshield clamped to the side of the battery.

There's two natural relocation points - the other side of the engine bay (requires airbox to be moved - or under the boot floor - requires metalwork to the boot floor or protrudes into the boot.

Reply to
Adrian

The Luggage gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Sure he didn't say "Volvo", since the Carisma and S/V40 are the same car built on the same production line in the Netherlands?

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Roland Perry contains these words:

The map I originally used has no towns marked at all.

The issue is a matter of accuracy. It is implicit in your correction to my original figure that the distance over water is closer to 210 than it is to either 200 or 220 and that both Stranraer and Elgin are on the direct line. I thought I was being kind to a careless pedant in not initially pointing out that Elgin is neither on the line nor on the coast (Lossiemouth is closer) or that Stranraer, as well as being way off line is actually on a north facing inlet.

Reply to
Roger

In message , at 15:10:26 on Fri,

6 Jun 2008, Adrian remarked:

That's only because the car has been designed on the assumption that a special battery isn't a problem. if there were only a few different sizes then they'd have to engineer round it.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 17:09:10 on Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Roger remarked:

It wasn't a correction meant to be accurate to the nearest 10 miles, it was to observe that it's nearer to "two thirds of 600" than "a half of

600".

All the towns I mentioned were simply to illustrate which quarter of Scotland it was, not which half mile.

Reply to
Roland Perry

And here we see the alpha males, squaring up to each other, in the time honoured rituaused to determine dominance. It may look ferocious, and indeed tempers can run high, but the displaty is mostly ceremonial and afterwards, both combattants may settle their differences over a pint at the communal watering hole.

Note the cutting use of allegory here, to devestating effect:

But the riposte is enough to keep the other combatant in the game:

That avenue blocked, our combattants return to another part of the ritual:

Both participants faced with deadlock, and showing no sign of tiring, this could go on ... for weeks.

Reply to
Sarah Brown

And the female cowers timorously on the edge of the group, knowing that when they have finished rutting the winners attention will turn to her.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
Sarah Brown

Roland Perry gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not quite - it's because the battery sat there all along, then some pillock put a bloody great big turbo in the only possible place, which put the exhaust... ummm... there... The exhaust routing's compromised by the need to squeeze the battery in.

Why _should_ something so relatively unimportant arbitrarily be the single most important bit of packaging?

Reply to
Adrian