Amazon orders 100,000 electric delivery trucks,

It can be a good thing. Electric is the future though some things have to be overcome.

Right now, cost is one big detriment but that will lessen over time. Long distance is another. Normal commuting to work is no problem, long trips, not so much. Cobalt for batteries is a potential problem but that is getting getter with new technology.

I only drove one electric car so far and was impressed with the performance and air conditioning. Acceleration was fantastic.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There's an electric motorcycle that's supposed to be pretty impressive

-- for a 100 miles or so.

Reply to
rbowman

rbowman snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote in news:hstdkdF9fl7U2 @mid.individual.net:

How easily are these electric vehicles recycled? Vehicles are designed to wear out long before they should, so that they will need to be replaced. So in your cost calculations consider that electric car might not last as long as a car did 10-30 years ago and cost much more to get replacement parts.

Reply to
David LaRue

One of the big issues is the batteries. That is first to go and expensive. I've not kept up but I have read there has been some improvement in recycling them. The rest of the car is no different that ice models.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Its very far from cleat that these delivery vehicles will be.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

They also say Europe and NA. Delivery in much of the cities in Europe is with very small vehicles and short distances. It may take longer to make them practical in Wyoming.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I agree, this will be a city and near in suburban thing.

Reply to
gfretwell

Mail delivery trucks last 20 or 30 years iirc.

They have to use horses there.

Reply to
micky

On Monday, September 21, 2020 at 9:32:25 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

Oh yeah! When I first got my 100% electric Nissan Leaf, I was sitting at a red light in the left go-straight lane at Forest Park Parkway and Big Bend in STL and a young man was in a Honda in the right go-straight lane, a nice cool Autumn day, so I slid the passenger window down and asked him if he wanted to "go for it, and he nodded 'yes' and smiled, so I slid the passenger window up and put my foot over my Leaf's accelerator pedal and I could hear him revving his engine and thought to myself "He has no idea what to expect!"

When the light switched to green I floored it and by the time I got to the little jog to the right I was going 75MPH! He never did pass me either, all the way north to Delmar! :-)

I educated a young man that day about electric cars! :-)

John Kuthe...

Reply to
John Kuthe

Have enough bat'ry left to get home, though?

Reply to
dpb

Electric is the past. The most expensive electric car today is overall less useful and less convenient than the cheapest gasoline car. Amazon is pandering to the Left and their "climate change" bullshit. (Climate change is a natural phenomenon. You can no more "fight" it than fight the sun rising in the east and setting in the west. Electric cars and delivery trucks will certainly have no effect.)

Internal combustion: accept no substitutes.

Reply to
Roger Blake

They are in fact very different in how the heater and ac and brakes are done.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

They still use steel, aluminum, plastic, glass. rubber. Different portions, different locations. They still get separated and either trashed or recycled. Batteries have some different chemicals.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Amazon is in it for the money. Subsidized electricity in a subsidized truck is a whole lot cheaper than ICE. I imagine they will be the ones with the best idea of range and I wouldn't be surprised if they have on board data recorders to monitor the driver's habits. You can go fast in an electric or you can go far, pick one.

Reply to
gfretwell

I think that my next vehicle will be an electric.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

How about a 300 mile road trip?  About the 200 mile marker, you'll need to call Goober and his Uber.  (consider yourself educated)

Reply to
E.V. Hitchiker

I haven't taken a 300 mile road trip in decades, and I doubt I'll ever take another one.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

That will remain a problem. I took a 1200 mile trip and first day did about 850 miles, had lunch with my friend the next day. With an electric it would have taken me at least an extra day and spent time looking for chargers.

For a daily commute and shopping, fine. Not for my only car though. Nor do I want to get a rental for a trip.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski