Ironite Questions?

Page 4 of 11
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 21:32:09 -0500, "Marie Dodge"

I use Hi-Yield Copperas, which is a powder derived from ferrous sulfate. It was recommended by more than one organic nursery, is relatively cheap, and effective.
Penelope

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:43:14 -0500, "Marie Dodge"

You know, I did a quick google on Ironite this morning, and; after wading through a fair bit of eco-nazi frothing, found this article:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id 0
It was more balanced than any of the others.

I think you would have to go to a nursery, not a big box store to get it. I got it for years from a local organic nursery; but when they retired, I was still able to get it from a more traditional nursery. I would just call a few nurseries or plant stores near where you live and ask if they carry it.
I really miss my organic nursery, they were always willing to try and get products that I'd read about on the web, or help me find a suitable alternative. The biggest problem is finding potting soil without any fertilizer in it, but that's a whine for another post.
Penelope
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:47:35 -0400, Penelope Periwinkle

Eco-nazi? That's insulting, dontca think?

Hit a little too close to home, did I?
Penelope
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:43:07 -0400, Penelope Periwinkle

No, not at all. It is a bit odd to compare someone who is an organic gardener who doesn't kill to Nazi's who spent day and night murdering, raping and torturing people. I think you are a bit off base. It takes more than that to ruffle my feathers, dear. I'm not some fancy housewife in Texas. I was raised in Brooklyn NY and don't get insulted too easily. Your comment said more about you that it will ever say about me. You insulted people who were murdered, not me.

Heh, yeah, your words fair ooze unperturbedness and undefensiveness.
I am, like, all chastised and stuff.
No, really.
Penelope
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:22:40 -0400, Penelope Periwinkle

Your words are far more telling about you than they are about me. I didn't chastise you. You made a fool of yourself.
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:32:34 -0500, Jangchub

Exactly! Finally, we agree!

Motley becomes me.
Penelope
In article

Whoops, I forgot our eco-nazi friends over at Rutgars University. http://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/soilprofile/sp-v16.pdf
While the great majority of commercial fertilizer products are generally regarded as safe and free of harmful levels of heavy metal contamination a limited number of products of concern have been identified in the garden center and fertilizer dealer market place. An example of a product of concern that is widely available in the home garden fertilizer market is Ironite. A recent study found that Ironite contains up to 3600 mg/kg As and 2900 mg/kg Pb and that solubility testing indicates that the product should be classified as a hazardous waste. On August 15, 2005, the New Jersey Department of Agriculture issued a stop sale on Ironite 100, but other Ironite products remain on the market. A limited survey of commercial products obtained from fertilizer dealers in New Jersey, conducted by Rutgers Cooperative Research and Extension, identified one zinc product of concern that contained 83 mg/kg Cd (Table 2). Also analysis of a commercial liming material found a Ni concentration of 194 mg/kg. New Jersey state officials, garden centers and fertilizer dealers are being informed about these suspect products. In New Jersey, commercial fertilizer products are regulated for guaranteed nutrient concentration by the New Jersey Department of Agriculture (NJDA). Although concentrations of nonnutrient substances in fertilizers and liming materials are not currently regulated, the NJDA will, on request from the public, test product samples for some heavy metals of concern. When a farmer, gardener, or fertilizer dealer has concerns about the guaranteed nutrient concentration in a fertilizer, quality of a liming material, or possible contamination of a product with heavy metals, the product in question may be sampled and tested by the NJDA, P.O. Box 330, Trenton, NJ 08625. Phone: 6099842222.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Speaking of...
Penelope

Ah, Penelope, the vituperous vixen: queen of the fractional entendre and vacuous thoughts. Heil.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

How did you arrive at giving more credence to the commercial, ad selling, don't-want-to-offend-any-potential-advertisers DALLAS MORNING NEWS than say Rutgars University, the EPA, or the Garden Web? I can imagine your embarrassment, having your stupidity on display like that, but to go 'tudinal instead of owning up to your error is childish.
And, we've probably had all the invectives that we may have needed for a gardening group.
Put up, or shut up.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

A twofer!
pwned!
hee hee!
A bit of kind advice: read the actual words I posted, not the ones you've convinced yourself I posted so as to support your spittle-flecked rant.
Penelope

But apparently you have difficulty reading it. Hence my suggestion to wipe the spittle off your screen.
However, I accept your admission of being in error despite its ungracious nature.
Penelope

Not everyone has your lack of social graces. Maybe you could put a sheet plastic wrap over your screen and then remove it when your spittle load becomes too thick to read through.
And while you were waxing poetic over your heroin's efforts to face the cruel vagaries of fate, you might have mentioned to the OP to try and incorporate small bits of junk iron into their soil to improve its' iron content or did your expose to rabies affect your mind as well? ;O)
Gardening shouldn't be a great effort, but then maybe some of that equine manure rubbed off on you.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:31:34 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
<Hi-Yield Copperas>

I understand. There doesn't seem to be much sympathy for people on a budget or people who don't have easy access to organic products; but I understand where you're coming from.
Since my fav organic nursery closed two years ago, it's been difficult to get organic products, and no one place seems to carry more than one or two, so I end up driving all over the place.
Ad not all the big box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot carry all the same items, so if they don't appear to have a market for organic products in an area, that store won't carry them. Both the Lowe's and the Home Depot nearest me don't carry much in the way of organic products. I have to go to a Home Depot almost 25 miles away to get to one that does, and even then, the choices are limited. It hard work to stay organic around here!

I used to make all my own, but I'm not retired, so free time is the limiting factor for me.
Penelope

I have difficulty with the idea of organic soil amendments that have the word product included. Sure dried blood, bone meal etc. and other products are costly. But is it not a fundamental idea to put back into the soil more than we take out. Aside Bone meal and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease scary. How to do it becomes the issue. Cover crops, manures, anything once alive. I favor wood chips as I get them delivered for free. Then there are the trips about to barber shops to take the waste hair. Making friends with the local high cafeteria folks to take the garbage. Keeping those teaming microbes alive and well so we can eat off the top of the chain. Bill wondering why my eyelid is itching. :))
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

And coffee shops for their spent grounds

Not to mention the feast it would provide red worms. http://www.unclejimswormfarm.com/index.php?show_aux_page=3 Wouldn't be long before a pound turns into 10 pounds :)
Steve Young