Ironite Questions?

A mineral rich product people use in gardens.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

It's truly shocking what the cost of organic farming/gardening has come to. = O

I haven't seen anything here but fish emulsion and can't afford almost $10 for a little bottle of the stuff. It wouldn't be enough for one tomato plant for the season. I really overspent on insecticides, both organic and chemical this year due to the WF and spidermites.

That is a trip with the high cost of gas no less.

I have more time and less money. :-)

Reply to
Marie Dodge

I cannot find greensand locally. I called every store I could think of that may carry ... see above. Only one place knew what it was but wont order small amounts.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

There are no local dealers. No one has it here. I would have to have it shipped and that's not feasible.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

Watch your email for my reply.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

there. I'll call them in the morning and see what their prices are like. I would need enough for say a 900 sq ft garden. I don't see greensand listed there.

That's quite a distance from here. I don't see soil amendments at the site.

A 50 lbs sack of any of these products wouldn't go anywhere in my gardens. I'd need at least 8 to10 50 lb sacks to make a difference @ $13.75 each. How large is your garden BTW?

Aside from the house and gardens, it's all lawn and woods.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

I live way out in the country. Murfreesboro is the closest city or town.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

to call for prices.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

What makes you think I drink Ironite? It's tilled into the soil and lasts all season.

I justify using what I need in my garden to grow plants. Convenience counts as does cost. I don't enjoy your unlimited income.

Two of us.

Our kids are all grown and gone on with lives of their own. They wouldn't be offered a glass of liquid Ironite either. :)

Reply to
Marie Dodge

No child here has died from eating Ironite. They get the lead from old paint and some toys from overseas.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

Main cause is Iron from vitamins. So keep those vitamins that look like Fred Flintstone and Iron pills in a secure place.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Marie Dodge" wrote

Being financially constrained as you are, don't you look out there and see turkey dinner? Hell, if I were in your shoes, it wouldn't be long before I smelled it cooking, right along side the sweet tators and dressing ;)))

Reply to
Steve Young

That much lasts me two or three years. (And my quoted shipping by USPS was only $7.00.) It's equivalent to many *gallons* of liquid seaweed.

I wouldn't transplant anything without it. Greens up the occasional plant that goes chlorotic. Promotes general vigor as a foliar feed.

If you gardened on a sand pit like mine, it wouldn't make sense to fertilize any other way...rain will leach anything soluable right away, which is money down the drain (almost literally).

My main fertilizer in the vegetable garden is alfalfa (pellets), supplemented by Maxicrop and all the compost and mulch I can make from autumn leaves collected all around the neighborhood. Still have some bags of leaves way in the back from last fall, which will go into more batches of compost as the sweetcorn stalks get pulled.

15 or so years ago I was able to give the veggie garden a heavy dose of greensand, but I was lucky at the time to be able to buy it locally in 40 pound bags. Doubt if I could afford that now, as no one seems to carry it in big bags anymore and the freight costs on that would be really astronomical. I wish that weren't the case, though...

That's the beauty of a dry powder. Sits there on the shelf so you can mix it up as needed.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

You are overusing Ironite. I mean, use it if you want, but you are wasting money by using it too often. What are the symptoms you get which tell you to apply Ironite yearly?

What do scavengers eat naturally?

Reply to
Jangchub

Yesterday I bought a bag of Medina granular fertilzer, certified organic, for 20 dollars and it covers up to 4,000 square feet.

You use one tablespoon per gallon of water. That bottle will last a few years!

Oh, then forget it. Are you on welfare?

So use the Ironite.

Reply to
Jangchub

That's because prices change. Gas has gone up 75% in the last 8 years.

Reply to
Jangchub

I didn't say Ironite. I said iron. Children overdose on chewable vitamins and the reason is liver failure from an overdose of iron. You failed to quote me correctly.

Reply to
Jangchub

"Marie Dodge" wrote

Actually, I gave you the first link so you could see the amendments used for organic farming, perhaps learn some of the tricks / solutions we have at our disposal.

I gave you the second link so you could use it as fodder for searching out a dealer near you. It is a list you could poke and learn. But, alas, all you want to do is whine about money.

There's a reason why po folks is po folks :(

Steve Young

Reply to
Steve Young

"Marie Dodge" wrote

Try nematodes for that relationship, then try finding live ones locally

oh poor me I guess you'll just have to kick back and retire from gardening

You're wanting to buy the wrong stuff at the wrong places and then disappointed that you can't, or you get overcharged :(

Reply to
Steve Young

No as expensive as putting unsafe chemicals on your crops.

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish