Ironite Questions?

Ironite v. a liquid. What problems have you people had with Ironite? What is the issue with this product? If it's dangerous, how is it legal to sell for use in gardens? Is there any other type of iron to add to the soil/compost besides liquids? With large gardens, sprinkling "iron" water over the plants several times during the season isn't practical.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

They sell horticultural grade molassas and that is what I use for iron. Since my pH is high I also use magnesium along with it in order to provide more availablity in the soil. You can broadcast magnesium in the form of epsom salt and if you dilute it enough, you can use molassas in a hose end sprayer.

Ironite contains levels of arsenic I am not willing to use. It will help kill soil organisms along with larger fauna in the gardens. I avoid it. There are plenty of websites you can read with pro and con on the subject of ironite.

Reply to
Jangchub

I use Hi-Yield Copperas, which is a powder derived from ferrous sulfate. It was recommended by more than one organic nursery, is relatively cheap, and effective.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

i think it is illegal to sell this toxic waste in most states. get greensand.

Reply to
polecanoe

You spray sticky diluted molasses on the plants in summer? How can you know how much iron the plants are getting and how often do you do it? Also, how to you keep from drawing insects with something like molasses? Here we'd have problems with things like raccoons and possums.

OK. I will Google them but just want you to know I've used it here for at least 15 years and have seen no problems. The gardens are still full of toads and box turtles. Moles are still a serious pest at times. Earthworms and grubs thrive.....

Reply to
Marie Dodge

Where do you get it? I've not seen or heard about it here in central TN. Who carries it?

Reply to
Marie Dodge

They don't sell greensand here that I know of, and I have 3 large veggie gardens. What well known stores carry it?

Reply to
Marie Dodge

i'm sure that any reputable garden center can and will get greensand for you. if you local home depot walmart and lowes don't have it, that is all the more reason to demand it.

you don't say where you are from, in my state CT the local NOFA has an annual sale you can also try peaceful valley if you are in CA

or Fedco seeds in ME
should have it.

Reply to
polecanoe

You know, I did a quick google on Ironite this morning, and; after wading through a fair bit of eco-nazi frothing, found this article:

was more balanced than any of the others.

I think you would have to go to a nursery, not a big box store to get it. I got it for years from a local organic nursery; but when they retired, I was still able to get it from a more traditional nursery. I would just call a few nurseries or plant stores near where you live and ask if they carry it.

I really miss my organic nursery, they were always willing to try and get products that I'd read about on the web, or help me find a suitable alternative. The biggest problem is finding potting soil without any fertilizer in it, but that's a whine for another post.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

One tablespoon to a gallon of water as a foliar spray along with liquid seaweed. I have opossums and raccoons in my yard and they don't have problems.

Why did you ask a question if you already know the answer?

Reply to
Jangchub

I saw Home Depot selling it, and I know for sure The Natural Gardener in Oak Hill sells it. The Great Outdoors on Congress, It's About Thyme in Taylor, Barton Springs Nursery and Garden Center on Bee Caves Road.

Reply to
Jangchub

Eco-nazi? That's insulting, dontca think?

Reply to
Jangchub

"Marie Dodge" wrote

Steve Young

Actually, as my nephew is fond of saying, that's not correct. Garden centers generally have to order a set amount of a product, so they're not going to order a pallet of greensand if they don't feel like there's a market for it in their area. I've had a very, very difficult time getting organic products since my favorite nursery owners retired. I actually ordered 15 5 lb bags of my favorite organic tomato and pepper fertilizer last year because none of the local garden centers and nurseries would order it. I figure I got about a 4 or 5 year supply for my garden and my sister's. I had to call almost every garden center and nursery in the yellow pages before I found one that carried a good quality potting soil that has no fertilizer in it.

I was very interested in trying some of the Pro-Mix products, and we even have a wholesale distributor locally; but I couldn't get any of the nurseries to get some for me. The cost of shipping makes ordering it on the web prohibitive.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Hit a little too close to home, did I?

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

No, not at all. It is a bit odd to compare someone who is an organic gardener who doesn't kill to Nazi's who spent day and night murdering, raping and torturing people. I think you are a bit off base. It takes more than that to ruffle my feathers, dear. I'm not some fancy housewife in Texas. I was raised in Brooklyn NY and don't get insulted too easily. Your comment said more about you that it will ever say about me. You insulted people who were murdered, not me.

Reply to
Jangchub

Whoops, I forgot our eco-nazi friends over at Rutgars University.

While the great majority of commercial fertilizer products are generally regarded as safe and free of harmful levels of heavy metal contamination a limited number of products of concern have been identified in the garden center and fertilizer dealer market place. An example of a product of concern that is widely available in the home garden fertilizer market is Ironite. A recent study found that Ironite contains up to 3600 mg/kg As and 2900 mg/kg Pb and that solubility testing indicates that the product should be classified as a hazardous waste. On August 15, 2005, the New Jersey Department of Agriculture issued a ³stop sale² on Ironite 100, but other Ironite products remain on the market. A limited survey of commercial products obtained from fertilizer dealers in New Jersey, conducted by Rutgers Cooperative Research and Extension, identified one zinc product of concern that contained

83 mg/kg Cd (Table 2). Also analysis of a commercial liming material found a Ni concentration of 194 mg/kg. New Jersey state officials, garden centers and fertilizer dealers are being informed about these suspect products. In New Jersey, commercial fertilizer products are regulated for guaranteed nutrient concentration by the New Jersey Department of Agriculture (NJDA). Although concentrations of nonnutrient substances in fertilizers and liming materials are not currently regulated, the NJDA will, on request from the public, test product samples for some heavy metals of concern. When a farmer, gardener, or fertilizer dealer has concerns about the guaranteed nutrient concentration in a fertilizer, quality of a liming material, or possible contamination of a product with heavy metals, the product in question may be sampled and tested by the NJDA, P.O. Box 330, Trenton, NJ 08625. Phone: 6099842222.
Reply to
Billy

Heh, yeah, your words fair ooze unperturbedness and undefensiveness.

I am, like, all chastised and stuff.

No, really.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Speaking of...

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Ah, Penelope, the vituperous vixen: queen of the fractional entendre and vacuous thoughts. Heil.

Reply to
Billy