Ironite Questions?

How did you arrive at giving more credence to the commercial, ad selling, don't-want-to-offend-any-potential-advertisers DALLAS MORNING NEWS than say Rutgars University, the EPA, or the Garden Web? I can imagine your embarrassment, having your stupidity on display like that, but to go 'tudinal instead of owning up to your error is childish.

And, we've probably had all the invectives that we may have needed for a gardening group.

Put up, or shut up.

Reply to
Billy

Your words are far more telling about you than they are about me. I didn't chastise you. You made a fool of yourself.

Reply to
Jangchub

If iron is such a scarce mineral, chances are it is scarce for others as well. You say I am incorrect. How do YOU know there is no market?

the dealers and apparently the buyers too have been duped into thinking that the only market that exists is for quick fixes. a reputable garden center would educate it's consumers.

Reply to
polecanoe

Mine don't have problems either, I have a problem with them.... they eat my veggies! = O How often are you spraying your garden with the Molasses? They don't sell liquid seaweed where I live. I don't care to start ordering things online because the shipping is often as much as the items to be shipped.

I asked what the issues were, the problems with Ironite since I haven't had any problems using it.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

Exactly! Finally, we agree!

Motley becomes me.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

It certainly was. Thanks.

Will do but organic gardening isn't all that popular where I live. When I tried to get all organic fertilizers I went into sticker shock. The cost of blood meal and bone meal are astronomical! You'd think it was gold meal. People with small gardens can probably afford such prices, those of us with larger gardens would have to sell our firstborn sons.

I've learned to make my own potting soil. It's much cheaper than buying it. Us retired people have to watch what we spend.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

My, but haven't the sensitive lettle fleurs sprouted in my absence.

Whether you or I think there is a market is irrelevant. Whether nursery or garden center owners do or don't think there is, or choose an alternative to either greensand or Ironite is their prerogative. Those who know their market on both ends stay in business, those who misjudge it don't. Insisting that they'll indulge the whims of every single customer is just plain silly.

Ah, I see the problem. You're defining "reputable garden center" as only those garden centers who adopt business practices approved by polecanoe. My definition is a bit broader.

Penelope

I've had a very, very

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

A twofer!

pwned!

hee hee!

A bit of kind advice: read the actual words I posted, not the ones you've convinced yourself I posted so as to support your spittle-flecked rant.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Demand it? I wish. They'll just tell me "Sorry, we don't carry it."

I'm in Central TN, not far from Nashville. There's only one Nursery in our area and they more or less carry the same stuff the big chains carry plus bone and blood meal. We can't afford these organic meals anymore as they're $5 to $6 for small bags and we have several gardens. We are however, picking up loads of organic mulch from a nearby city's shredding lot to work into the soil this year. We can't generate enough of our own to compost on only an acre of land.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

Lowe's and Home Depot both sell liquid seaweed. Gardens alive sells it on their website. Horticultural molasses is not as heavy as baking molasses and is still black strap with the iron still in it. I spray about every ten days.

I don't have a problem with animals eating things in the garden. I'm not implying you don't have a problem with it, just that I don't. I am honored they feel safe enough to be here. Maybe that's why they don't eat everything? I don't know. My dog when alive ate far more of my tomatoes than any coon or opossum.

Reply to
Jangchub

Exactly. I can't afford to have 10 or 25 lbs of greensand shipped.... on top of the high price they charge for it to start with.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

It's not that no one needs iron for their soil... they don't know what things like greensand are.

They don't have the time.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

Where are you talking about? What city in which state? Oak Hill? Great Outdoors? I can check with our local Home Depot but I have never seen it there.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

Yes, but some things are cheap at twice the price, and sometimes shipping is nowhere near equal to the cost of the item shipped (even these days).

Consider Maxicrop seaweed *powder* where you avoid paying to ship water:

it shipped by priority mail. It's cheaper.

(I would have recommended The Eclectic Gardener, as a satisfied customer, but they are sold out of Maxicrop powder. )

buy this mail order *even though* I have seen liquid kelp on sale locally, because it is so much less expensive (in the long run) to buy the dry powder even considering shipping, and because the dry powder is so much more convenient to store.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Send me an email with our location or approximation if you don't want to give out the exact location and I will find a nursery which sells a line of organic products, including greensand.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Jangchub

I misread and thought you said you were in Central Texas, but I can see you are in C. Tenn. Let me know a more specific spot and I will find you an outlet to buy these products.

Reply to
Jangchub

To answer part of your question...

It's legal to sell it because .gov isn't up to date, isn't there to protect your interests unless you force the issue, is always there to protect business interests because business responds to every threat with the best financed whiners and/or lawyers and/or disinformation campaigns etc. etc. etc.

And you seem to be trying to convince yourself, that taking some poison with your convenient solution is acceptable.

It's pretty clear that you are trying to justify using Ironite and any information that doesn't supply you with the same convenience isn't going to seem practical to you.

And if your garden is as big as you say it is, how many people are eating the produce?

That too should weigh in because kids absorb lead far more than adults.

Reply to
phorbin

The number one cause of childrens overdose ending in in death is 'merica.

Reply to
Jangchub

Arsenic poisins the central nervous system, likewise copper and lead. I'm not going to say it but...

One application of greensand will work for many years, unlike ironite or seaweed which will quickly break down.

Reply to
polecanoe

"Marie Dodge" wrote

I doubt that, though organic supplies are often more difficult to find. It simply requires a little more searching.

Have you called these people? They seem to be in your neck of the woods: Dicken's Supply, 814 Cherokee Ave., Nashville, TN 37207 (615) 227-1111

's another company I purchase from. Biocontrol Network

5116 Williamsburg Rd, Brentwood, Tennessee 37027
Eric a jingle, he'll treat you dandy. (800) 441-BUGS (2847)

You need to find a feed mill that handles grain and livestock feed. A

50lb sack of cotton seed meal $13.75. About the same price for alfalfa meal and close to the same for a 50lb sack of Fertrell green sand. Though I'm still looking for an inexpensive local source for 50lb sacks of feather meal and blood meal. I imagine I could order from the dealer I buy the green sand from, though I haven't tried.

It certainly is more difficult if the land doesn't produce the needed organic material.

Steve Young

Reply to
Steve Young