A Liquid Shower Pan?

Someone was telling me about a liquid rubber shower pan that you apply with a paint roller, but couldn't remember the name, anybody heard of it or know an online link? I got the impression it was sort of like that can of liquid material you dip pliers handles in. Thanks.

Reply to
Don

RicodJour

Hey thanks Rico. Welp, looks like there's no way around it, I'm carrying cement backerboard up a flight of stairs. Was hoping to avoid that somehow. I never get to do anything the easy way..........heh

Reply to
Don

Which also goes by the name of

Is this how prophyalctic...um, profilact...propillact...rubbbers are made?

Reply to
Matt Barrow

I can't imagine the results are very attractive. What do you want it for?

There are some very shallow resin shower trays around now and there are liners for use under tiles in wetrooms.

Reply to
CWatters

"CWatters"> wrote

Doesn't matter how it looks cause it won't be seen when the job is done, just like a regular shower pan. I want it for, uh, a shower pan, that goes from floor to ceiling, then it will be covered in tile.

Been there, done that, will do it again if I have to. I heard about this other stuff, Redgard, and thought I'd check into it. Back to the original question, have you ever heard of it (Redgard, or comparable) or know anything about it?

Reply to
Don

"Don" wrote on 30 Aug 2007 in group alt.building.construction:

I've used Redgard under tile floors to seal cracks. That's an intended use. I roll it on with a foam roller, about a foot on either side of the crack. It makes a thin film that will seal moisture coming through the crack from the ground below.

I don't think it will make a heavy enough barrier to use as a shower pan unless you put on many, many coats. If you do that, it might no longer work as intended.

Get a PVC liner from the hardware store that's intended for the purpose. It will definitely perform properly. You can get some extra and run it up the wall, though you'll have an issue with the joints.

Reply to
Steve

Been reading a forum about the Redgard where people have applied 3 coats of the stuff as a shower pan and they've indicated its pretty expensive. I'll have to check it out at Home Depot the next time I'm there. In my last house in FL I bought a roll of pan material that was 4' wide x

25' long and that may be what I end up doing this time as well.
Reply to
Don

There are other products besides Redgard. Familiarize yourself with Schlutter's product line - excellent materials.

You should investigate Wedi board as a replacement for cement board. It's great stuff. It's about 25% of the wieght of cement board, adds insulation, sound deadening, takes tile and thinset beautifully, and makes drywall seem tough to work with in comparision.

They're a little nifongedto find on the web, but the stuff is available at a couple of local lumberyards and some tile houses around here.

some contact information:

RicodJour

Ah sorry, here in the UK that would be called tanking.

Only what I've just read on the web...(pdf)..

CWatters

I've used that stuff to make a wash basin stand that will be tiled. Can be cut with a knife/box cutter - a saw goes through it like butter. The makers sell a special cement/glue for joints but the price seems high in the UK. I found that a cheaper liquid nails type product also worked well (I left some on scrap foam overnight first as I thought the foam core might be disolved by the glue solvent).

I put some wood blocks in where screws will go for a towel rail (just cut round the outline of the block with the knife and glue it in the hole).. but that's overkill really as I'm using 10mm thick travertine tiles and could fix into those ok.

Reply to
CWatters

I wanna put this man on the payroll, right now! Thanks Rico, I'll check all of it.

Reply to
Don

Don,

Probably Redguard. I saw it at my local Home Depot the other day.

Personally, I wouldn't rely on it as a shower pan. Even if it works to waterproof the pan, I think you would run into problems where the drain connects.

I used Schluter Kerdi on our 6'x6' tile shower. It's great stuff. You install your backerboard and mud bed, apply the Kerdi, and tile right over it. They even have a special drain that's made to work with the Kerdi system.

Kerdi is nice because you only need a single mud bed, instead of two like you would do with a vinyl liner.

It's a little expensive, but worth it in my opinion. It puts the waterproofing right under the tile, rather than underneath the second mud bed.

You might want to stop by the

tile forum. Lots of folks there use Kerdi and could give you tips and advice.

As for the backerboard, I used Hardibacker. It comes in 3'x5' sheets, cuts easily, and is lighter than durock.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Cool, I'll check it all out. Thanks.