Thickening a liquid

I wish to thicken Roundup so I may apply it (by paintbrush) to the leaves of scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.
What would be the easiest thing to use ? Salt ?

of scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and kill ing the goodies.

Put on rubber gloves. (NO holes) Put on woollen gloves on top of them. Dip you your hands in the solution and run them through the weeds. Soil inactivates roundup.
On Monday, May 13, 2013 8:47:39 AM UTC+1, harry wrote:

es of scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. I f I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and ki lling the goodies.

Tried that. No good as scutch grass is growing through the plants I want to keep and the gloves tend to drip
On 13/05/2013 08:29, fred wrote:

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

Roundup gel is designed for that type of situation.
Colin Bignell
On 13/05/2013 09:16, Nightjar wrote:

Then that is undoubtedly the answer because thickening chemicals is far from straightforward.
On 13/05/2013 09:49, stuart noble wrote:

Actually it is comparatively easy provided that the chemical is not too aggressive. Wallpaper paste, flour, cornflower, agar will all do it.
It is unlicensed use of a pesticide but far better in my opinion than paying anything to Monsanto for Roundup(TM) products. Any sheds own bradn glyphosate product with maximum g/L of active ingredient is as good and avoids giving money to irresponsible GM advocates.
NB I am not against GM but I am against Monsanto for the cavalier way they foisted RoundupReady on the world and damaged the entire industry.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 13/05/2013 10:08, Martin Brown wrote:

I imagine the difficult bit is to thicken it without affecting the penetration of the chemical. I should have said thickening surfactants isn't straightforward.

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

Wallpaper paste works, but you cannot store it once thickened, since the starch in the paste grows fungus and it goes runny again (not sure of the mechanism of that.)
--
Today is Pungenday, the 60th day of Discord in the YOLD 3179
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"

I found it *works* in the sense you get thickened Roundup but not with regard to applying by brush to flexible leaves.
I tried it on bindweed and, unless the leaf is supported, failed to transfer enough chemical to do the job.

--
Tim Lamb

Ah, you need the "glove of death". I wear a rubber glove with a cotton glove over the top, dip my hand in the goo then lovingly fondle the plant.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 61st day of Discord in the YOLD 3179
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"

Yes. Might be safer (for other plants) if you could restrict the chemical to the *palm of death*:-)

--
Tim Lamb

On Tue, 14 May 2013 12:25:10 +0100, Tim Lamb

Remember the croptex glove for chemically hand roguing wild oats from wheat?
AJH
snipped-for-privacy@sylva.icuklive.co.uk writes

Never got my hands on one:-)
There were no wild Oats on the home farm and I used to sort them in Winter Beans on the outlying arable.
--
Tim Lamb

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

Is that what's in the little hand-held applicator they show in the TV ad? Which they claim can be applied to only the weeds, missing the rest.
--
Windmill, snipped-for-privacy@Nonetel.com Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
On 14/05/2013 00:56, Windmill wrote:

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

Yes. Although the waxy 2,4-D based broadleaf specific ones are better for spot weeding on lawns. Grass is exquisitely sensitive to glyphosate and people who have been spraying with it should not walk on lawns!
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Yes, I just found that to my cost. Now got an impromptu path across the lawn. Must either have had it on the soles of shoes (but there are not "footsteps" in the grass), or, more likely, the sprayer was still running.
--
Tim

On 13/05/2013 08:29, fred wrote:

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

Wallpaper paste or flour. You can buy a glyphosate gel formulation as a touch stick.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Monday, May 13, 2013 9:17:18 AM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

I know this but I buy Roundup by the gallon so find the prices, never mind the strength of such things, to be unacceptable

d the strength of such things, to be

change to a generic brand?
Jim K
On Monday, May 13, 2013 7:21:13 PM UTC+1, Jim K wrote:

ind the strength of such things, to be

Have tried alternatives but always go back to Roundup or Gallup. Too much f affing around waiting up to two weeks to see if the alternative is effectiv e. I know Roundup works