Thickening a liquid

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

I know this but I buy Roundup by the gallon so find the prices, never mind the strength of such things, to be unacceptable

Reply to
fred

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

Have used thos but not suitable in this instance for reasons given

Reply to
fred

It can be used to thicken a wide range of solutions of polymers in water. In the case of bleach it is not the bleach (sodium hypochlorite) that is being thickened but the detergent. Similarly shampoo, washing up liquid etc are thickened with salt.

Collagen solutions can be thickened with salt as can acrylic polymers and various carbohydrate polymers.

Reply to
Steve Firth

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

wallpaper paste? as long as it dries before it rains.

Reply to
alan

d the strength of such things, to be

change to a generic brand?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I found it *works* in the sense you get thickened Roundup but not with regard to applying by brush to flexible leaves.

I tried it on bindweed and, unless the leaf is supported, failed to transfer enough chemical to do the job.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Plant leaves are usually coated in wax. Monsanto brought out a product to aid leaf penetration, Roundup Biactive? Within weeks agricultural crops advisers were recommending an *off the shelf* additive to the standard version.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

they dont.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

Is that what's in the little hand-held applicator they show in the TV ad? Which they claim can be applied to only the weeds, missing the rest.

Reply to
Windmill

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

Yes. Although the waxy 2,4-D based broadleaf specific ones are better for spot weeding on lawns. Grass is exquisitely sensitive to glyphosate and people who have been spraying with it should not walk on lawns!

Reply to
Martin Brown

ind the strength of such things, to be

Have tried alternatives but always go back to Roundup or Gallup. Too much f affing around waiting up to two weeks to see if the alternative is effectiv e. I know Roundup works

Reply to
fred
8<

So show us the results of your analysis of every washing up liquid available to prove you are correct.

While I will just point to one that uses it..

dennis

the strength of such things, to be

faffing around waiting up to two weeks to see if the alternative is effective. I know Roundup works

All decent glyphosate formulations work. More fool you for buying it from Monsanto for ripoff prices. At least buy the Zeneca version if you must pay through the nose for a fancy brand name product.

Be careful these days as they seem to sell things to the public called Roundup that contain other weedkiller components than just glyphosate! Not sure that Roundup Ready crops would like them very much.

I love the way that increasingly they sell prediluted stuff as weedkiller and windscreen wash. Vastly overpriced impure water!!!

A glyphosate kill always takes about two weeks to take full effect - it is a translocating weedkiller and needs that time to circulate around inside the plant if it is to be properly effective.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I buy the most concentrated Roundup I can find, which seems to be the

360gm/litre formulation. This costs around £40, but lasts me 10 years (just bought my second one last year).

Anyone else make a high-strength solution?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, I just found that to my cost. Now got an impromptu path across the lawn. Must either have had it on the soles of shoes (but there are not "footsteps" in the grass), or, more likely, the sprayer was still running.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ah, you need the "glove of death". I wear a rubber glove with a cotton glove over the top, dip my hand in the goo then lovingly fondle the plant.

Reply to
Huge

Oh yes they do!

Gosh, panto season already.

Reply to
Steve Firth

A glyphosate-based windscreen wash? Ouch!

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Yes. Might be safer (for other plants) if you could restrict the chemical to the *palm of death*:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A spoonful of Gaviscon seems to do the trick.

Reply to
Andy Bartlett