Adding sealer to grout before you apply it

Hello all,
Has anyone heard of this? My brother in law just had his kitchen remodeled and the contractor that installed the porcelain tile floor actually mixed the sealer into the grout then applied the grout. I'm going to be grouting my kitchen floor this weekend and just wanted to pick some brains first!
Thanks
In the old days prior to 1990 or so, when grouts were not polymer modified yet, we would mix liquid polymer admixes into the grout as a substitute for water. This would make the grout more stain resistant and make the color more consistent, but it doesn't truly seal it.
Possibly his contractor mixed polymer modified powder with additional liquid admix, which is wrong and shouldn't be done. Don't give in to some kind of experiment. A bad grout job will ruin everything.
The conventional way is to just use ordinary polymer modified grout (as all grouts come these days) mix it with clean water, and seal it with good sealer after 3 days of curing.
thetiler
snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com wrote:

thetiler wrote:

The tile store where I bought porcelain tiles for my bathroom a few weeks ago sold me a quart of admix to put in the sanded grout mix instead of water to keep it from cracking. And a pint of sealer to use 3 or 4 days after grouting. I don't remember what brand.
I think I need to read the directions on the grout bag carefully; maybe I can return the admix when I take the extra box of tiles back...
Thanks, Bob

Just remember not to bring all your leftover tiles back. Just in case you crack one by dropping something on it. 10 years from now those tiles will be out of print.
GoHabsGo wrote:

Thanks; I already thought of that. I've got 6 1/2 tiles held back and stacked safely in the back under the sink.
Best regards, Bob
I'll bet the bag of grout says to mix it with clean water.
Often polymer modified thinsets and grouts will specifically say NOT to add latex admix.
Doesn't surprise me a store clerk has no clue.
thetiler
zxcvbob wrote:

replying to thetiler, Cindy wrote: Oh my god!! The guy that did our tile just made this mistake!!! It is dry and cracking in places!! We did our kitchen and hall and bathroom, even don a tile shower and up half the wall!!! Is there any way to fix this without just digging it out and starting over??? Please help!!
On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 12:44:03 GMT, Cindy

Nope. Next time get an expert, not a "guy" Only a total dufus would mix sealer into grout. One that can't, or at least won't, read directions.

Yeah. It's like the stuff they put in concrete so you don't need wire or rebar reinforcement in the slab. In other words, a phony shortcut for the contractor with a make-believe story for the homeowner.
Did you also fall for the self-tuning piano at the music shop?
replying to deand, Cindy wrote: The person that just did our tile just made this mistake!!! The grout is dry and cracking up in places, we did our kitchen floor and hall and bathroom, even made a tile shower!!! Is there any way to fix this without just having to dig all the grout out and start over!!!