Cleaning old Tile Grout / Admix?

Hello All. Anyone have advice on the following. Is there anyway to remove grout/admix on the surface of my bathroom tile.

A previous contractor, mixed something, (Admix?) to the grout to make it water-proof I guess, but never bother to remove the excess.

Now it's on solid, and no amount of scrubbing can take it off. Any ideas?

(I want to keep the tile, only just remove the grout left on the surface of the bathroom floor tile.)

Thanks!

Reply to
R Guzman

go to a real tile store and ask. there are products for this, containing mostly some kind of acid.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Try a sharp instrument like a scrapper with the razor blade and then some elbow grease and some more scrubbing.

oren

I had this problem too many years ago....Muratic acid will remove it nicely (8 bucks a gallon at a pool store). Be careful with this stuff and use rubber gloves and also, be careful because it can damage the existing grout.....good luck...Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Muratic acid will do the trick....get a gallon at a pool supply store for about 8 bucks as I recall and be careful to wear rubber gloves. The stuff is pretty obnoxious...also keep in mind that it can damage the existing grout if you leave it on too long....good luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Muratic acid will do the trick...you can get a gallon for about 8 bucks at a pool supply store and be careful to wear rubber gloves. This stuff is pretty obnoxious and don't leave it sit on the grout for too long or it may damage it....good luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Definately test a small area first. The OP wasn't specific about the tile material; marble, limestone, other natural stone will all etch to differing degrees (some significantly faster than latex modified grout, in which case the grout will come off when the base material etches away). Slate will hold up well as will most glazed ceramic or porcilin tile. If the acid fizzes on the ungrouted surface of a tile, don't use it, that is a sign of etching.

You may not want to douse the whole area with acid but rather soak a small rag and scrub the surfaces with the leftover grout. Perhaps use a cleaning pad if the tile is not soft.

Even after etching I had some leftover grout on slate and ended up using a popsicle stick to scrub it off. The tiny scratches that process left were completely hidden by the sealer.

Reply to
PipeDown

Those products contain sulphamuric crystals to make a weak sulphuric acid solution or phosphoric or HCL abut all are much weaker and much more expensive than muriatic. They are weaker to prevent you from over etching or burning yourself badly. If you are careful and use diluted solution first, you should get the same results.

Reply to
PipeDown

Is this glossy tile, or flat porous tile?

I'm thinking glossy.

Maybe even a putty knife, with the blade fairly close to parallel to the floor.

If using a razor blade, since the floor is flat, probably any holder will be good, but here's a story about razor blades on brick walls to remove excess mortar.

The corners of the blades kept braking, but I have a box cutter where one end is a knife, and the razor in the other end is a scraper**. So the center is supported, but the ends are free to bend.

**Many are not like that, and the ones that work this way give no indication that they do except the shape of the end.

Worked great on the brick wall.

I would think the floor is flat enough that this style would give no advantage.

mm