"Disposable" paintbrush

Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable? They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and reuse them!

Reply to
Major Scott

This paintbrush will self-destruct in five seconds.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and reuse them!

They're ordinary paintbrushes, they're fine, as long as you accept like most cheap brushes some hairs will come out.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Because after you have picked the 30th bristle out of your previously nice paint finish, you hurl it across the room!

Reply to
John Rumm

Disposable presumably in that the cost of buying is new one is less than the cost of your time and effort in cleaning the old. I've seen a set of five brushes for under a pound. At that price, what's the point of getting messy, not to mention using up water or any other cleaning material?

Reply to
Bert Coules

That's when you will find out why they are called disposable paintbrushes.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I see. Although it does sate the bristles are firmly fixed with solvent proof epoxy......

Reply to
Major Scott

That's where I was going wrong, I thought I was just painting too fast.

Reply to
Major Scott

The epoxy is solvent proof, allegedly.

Are you that guy that hates bicycles? :-)

Reply to
Major Scott

When the black bristles fall out on to your nice white paint you will be very upset. I was. But then again, I have very high standards. You are a peasant.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Firstly, if they fell out on the first attempt, that would make it a crap paintbrush, not a disposable one. It would be equally crap on the first use as on the subsequent uses you're not meant to use.

Secondly, bristles can come off the expensive ones too. You just pick them off and paint over that bit again.

Reply to
Major Scott

On decent brushes the bristles do not fall out. These are dead expensive and can cost upward of 3 quid each for diy.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I have used them. The bristles stay in a bit more, but thy still come out.

Reply to
Major Scott

Hmm, you should talk to my missus. As far as she's concerned, *all* paintbrushes are disposable... "life's too short for cleaning bloody paintbrushes". Hence I stopped buying decent brushes :(

Reply to
Lobster

I sometimes don't wash them if I've used paint that needs white spirit to clean them. The brush is often cheaper than the white spirit.

Reply to
Major Scott

My experience is that the bristles fall out on first use but dont as much after reuse.

Reply to
F Murtz

Well normally they are disposable as after a while they start leaving their hairy bits in the paint. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No as I say, its more like they gradually moult. I had one once where the metal bit was actually made of some kind of plastic. Note never use certain types of thinners to slean them. Glpoop. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and reuse them!

Before first use, grip the bristles moderately firmly and pull. Repeat. This removes at least some loose ones.

If they use epoxy, they can't be using enough of it

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Nope. I'm the guy that hates cyclists.