Thickening a liquid

Remember the croptex glove for chemically hand roguing wild oats from wheat?

AJH

Reply to
news

In message , snipped-for-privacy@sylva.icuklive.co.uk writes

Never got my hands on one:-)

There were no wild Oats on the home farm and I used to sort them in Winter Beans on the outlying arable.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've not used it extesnsively, just a few occasions around my lot. I found that the recommended dilution had no effect on the woodier plants to upped the does to 5% iirc. A couple of months later, all the woody brambles just tipped up and died, for good. Marvellous stuff.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

snip

5% solution. If my maths is correct thats 20:1, no ?

Thats the dilution I always use. Kills brambles eventually but as they are still dangerous even when dead, so have to be cut out anyway I prefer to cut them back to the ground. They grow again I know but I gain great satisfaction from emasculating them. One tripped me up last week. Fell flat on my face and cracked a rib. I think they may be fighting back.

Reply to
fred

still dangerous even when dead, so have to be cut out anyway I prefer to cut them back to the ground. They grow again I know but I gain great satisfaction from emasculating them.

they may be fighting back.

They are just biding their time...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Yep. Iirc, the packaging said 3% to start with and I ended up with 5% (or perhaps 8%), it wasn't a hugely expensive or highly concentrated exercise to find the sweet spot which killed them off.

still dangerous even when dead, so have to be cut out anyway I prefer to cut them back to the ground. They grow again I know but I gain great satisfaction from emasculating them.

they may be fighting back.

Bleedin' Triffids, they are.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

There are/have been chemical sprays intended for woody plants. The EU has caused some to be withdrawn.

The place to look is..

Grazon was a good one.

Broadshot?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Roundup kills brambles . At 10* normal strength. On the leaves.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe. You are supposed to avoid killing the top growth without leaving time for the chemical to translocate to the roots.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

AIUI, some plants just take longer than others to get offed. I carried a sprayer across the lawn a couple of weeks ago, without realising it was dribbling. Now I have an unexpected brown path across the lawn.

By contrast, take japanese knotweed. 15 years ago there was a clump of it, which, not knowing what it was, I had dug up and the bed rotovated. Suddenly instead of one plant I had a billion, as I then discovered that knotweed regenerates from 0.25" or so of root.

Even after digging up and burning the rootball, it still took me 7 years of roundup applications to kill it off entirely.

Some stuff is tougher than others and it's not clear that just spraying on super-strength is the way to go, rather than following the instructions.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What happened with my brambles was an apparent non-occurrence then suddenly, about two months later, with the onset of the colder months, they died off. I presume the sap had withdrawn to the root ball and killed it. Magical, it was. Honestly until that occurred, I was beginning to think they were indestructible.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon