Thickening a liquid

On 13/05/2013 09:25, Tim Watts wrote:

I think the OP is thinking of salt being used to thicken bleach. As you say, I don't think it can thicken anything else.
Another Dave.
On 13/05/2013 12:17, Another Dave wrote:

They use it for washing up liquid as well.
On 13/05/13 12:22, dennis@home wrote:

they dont.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead
8<

So show us the results of your analysis of every washing up liquid available to prove you are correct.
While I will just point to one that uses it..
http://www.ecover.com/GB/EN/products/ProductDetails.aspx?PId 02&VId 019007721&CId7&NM=Washing%20Up%20Liquid

Oh yes they do!
Gosh, panto season already.
--
<•DarWin><|
_/ _/

It can be used to thicken a wide range of solutions of polymers in water. In the case of bleach it is not the bleach (sodium hypochlorite) that is being thickened but the detergent. Similarly shampoo, washing up liquid etc are thickened with salt.
Collagen solutions can be thickened with salt as can acrylic polymers and various carbohydrate polymers.
--
<•DarWin><|
_/ _/

A spoonful of Gaviscon seems to do the trick.
On Mon, 13 May 2013 00:29:35 -0700 (PDT), fred wrote:

Wall paper paste.
Bet the ready made gel costs significan;y more than the already significantly marked up, branded, Roundup.
Other cheaper and stronger glyphosate based weed killers are available.
--
Cheers
Dave.
fred wrote:

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

Get a small hand held rope wick applicator. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Rope+Wick+Applicator+Plans&Form=IQFRDR
On Monday, May 13, 2013 10:20:07 AM UTC+1, F Murtz wrote:

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

Have used thos but not suitable in this instance for reasons given
On 13/05/2013 08:29, fred wrote:

scutch grass which is growing up through everything in the borders. If I apply the bare liquid I run the risk of it running down the stem and killing the goodies.

wallpaper paste? as long as it dries before it rains.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk