Tree safe broadleaf herbicide?

Hi, I have a number of dandelions in my yard (PNW), too many to spot treat, and I'm not going to rip out the yard and resod it.

That leaves me to looking for an herbicide. The only problem is that I have a few trees (oak, maple, walnut), and I don't want to kill the trees.

Looking at the labels, I see 2,4-D and Dicamba, both of which seem to be toxic to trees.

My question is, for those of you who have used these products around trees, what has been your experience? Have you been successful in keeping the trees alive?

Also, is there perhaps a different formulation which might be less toxic to the trees?

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

OK to use. Just don't spray it on the tree foliage.

Reply to
Frank

Well, the Walnut could go. =P

How large are the trees?

If they're mature, it would take a pretty hefty dose.

There'd be a lot of turf-care people out of work, who answered "no" to that last question.

The rate given on the bag, when applied as directed, should be safe for anything larger than a very small sapling.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Weed-B-Gone or Spectricide won't harm trees if used as directed. Spray on a windless day.

Reply to
Phisherman

We have southern lawn and did lawn care for our condo for several years. For first all-over treatment, we used Weed-B-Gone. For really persistant weeds, I used Roundup with a spray bottle (no drift) or a brush. Using a paint brush makes quick work of the occasional weed and keeps herbicide from contacting anything else.

When we did all-over treatment, we weren't particularly careful about root zones, as some labels say not to spray. As I recall, WBG works through the leaves, not the roots, so nothing is really getting to tree roots. Need to be careful not to spray on windy days, or herbicide will drift. We also fertilized a week or two prior, so weeds were actively growing, which is what you want them to do so they take up the herbicide. Good idea not to apply herbicides when lawns are stressed by hot dry weather.

Reply to
norminn

A NY herbicide that is absorbed through the leaves will not harm a tree if you don't spray where it can get on the leaves.

Reply to
clare

Not an issue in Ontario any more. In about 2 weeks it becomes illegal to use chemical pesticides of any kind on our lawns------ Yup - time for ASTROTURF

Reply to
clare

Wow! Unfortunately, too many folks think if a little is good, more is really good. Some herbicides are really nasty stuff, especially when they get into water....no more frogs? Not a big deal to some, but it changes the environ. in a big way.

Reply to
norminn

That is exactly what my wife keeps wanting me to do but I keep thinking the neighbors will object. What I did at my prior home and am in the process of doing at my new home is to replace most if not all of my grass with landscaping using a lot of stone, bolders, slate, and landscape plants. I was 100% successful at my prior home and did not require any chemicals for either pesticides or fertilizer. Both the front and back yards were shade covered gardens with slate and epoxy-stone walks, lots of moss rock, bolders, decks, and natural areas. The plants were all perennials with various textures and colors. Maintenance was limited to one weekend in the spring and late fall with about an hour of monthly maintenance to blow and sweep the tree trash.

I can say that it is a LOT of work to get your yard to that point but once there you get to sit back and enjoy watching the neighbors weed, mow and trim.

Reply to
BobR

Thanks to everyone who responded, I really do appreciate it. I'm going to pick some up this week and apply it carefully, might even dilute it down a little bit just for fun.

Thanks again,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Jon Danniken wrote: ...

Not below recommended rate, no. It will do nothing but stunt growth rather than kill and contribute to a new generation that is more resistant. Use as recommended/instructed, don't try to be smarter than the folks who make it and tell you how to use it properly.

--

Reply to
dpb

-snip-

Dicamba is your only enemy under the drip lines.. after repeated applications.

Be careful with any herbicide.

Reply to
Steve