mounting a safe

I just received a very nice fireproof safe that has no mounting hardware. So it's fireproof etc but not thief proof. It's about 2 X 2 X 2.

I'd like to mount the sucker down with something. I'm thinking about strapping it down to the floor by wrapping angle iron around up the left side across the top and down the right side leaving ears at the bottom. Kind of like an upside down U. Then drill into the slab and bolt the ears down to the floor.

It won't insure that a determined thief won't just cut off the bolts and unstrap it but it will definitely take longer.

Welcome for all comments/ideas?

Thanks!

Djay

Reply to
djay

encapsulate it in concrete

Reply to
AZ Nomad

How heavy is it? And is it really a safe, or just a fireproof cabinet with a combination lock? If it has casters, you can unbolt those and use those holes to add a steel plate to the bottom, extending past the sides, that you can bolt to the floor. The most secure safe is one nobody knows about- hide it in a closet or piece of furniture, with what looks like a solid panel in front of it, made out of thin plywood. Magnetic catches are great for things like that- you whack the panel with your hand to get it to pop off, or put a piece of metal on one spot on the back of the panel, and use a felt-covered magnet as the handle to pull the panel off without leaving tell-tale marks on it. And whatever you do, resist the urge to show it off to friends and relatives. All sorts of ways to add a secret compartment to a house, though not as easy as the old days when houses had all sorts of built-in cabinetry.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Did you just buy it, I just bought one at HD that came with brackets to bolt it down from the inside, check out the safes web site, some safes have an area made to be drilled through if you use the proper gasket and bracket.

Reply to
ransley

Simple.

Drill one or more holes in the floor of the safe then use these holes for bolts anchored in the floor.

I made a 2x2' form from scrap 2x4s, used bits of conduit in the right place, and filled the form with concrete. I made five of these. The bottom one had a bolt anchored in the concrete.

I was able to attach threaded rods to the imbedded bolts and thread the remaining four slabs on the rod. The bit of the rod stickup up from the fifth block was used to secure the safe.

Now, instead of a safe weighing about 70 pounds, the goblins will have to make off with a blob weighing almost 500 pounds.

Another trick. You can put a switch inside the door of the safe with hidden wires going to your 'silent holdup alarm' circuit. This switch on the safe's door can be disabled by another switch in a secret location. To use the safe normally, you flip the secret switch before opening the safe. If a squint, scrot, cut-purse, evil-doer, slope, or drippy is holding a gun to your head, you don't flip the secret switch.

A pistol among the safe's contents has obvious uses.

Note: There are two general kinds of safes: fire safes and security safes. Fire safes (i.e., typical 'Sentry' brand) can be opened with a hatchet. Security safes made of tool-resistant steel are much harder for a gremlin to open but get really hot inside.

Reply to
HeyBub

e's

So my new HD Sentry safe isnt safe? How unsafe is it against theft.

Reply to
ransley

But there are a whole class of data rated safes specifically designed to be both a security safe and to protect the contents from heat damage.

Reply to
George

It is right at 100 lbs. It's a fireproof safe meaning it has the actuator arms that go from the door into the wall of the safe after the lever is turned. Right now it's in a walk-in closet and blends very well with the rest of the crap the wife has in there (boxes of Shtuff). No casters, just 4 ea 1.5" diameter plastic nubs (about 1/8 thick).

Djay

Reply to
djay

That would certainly make it safer! ;)

Reply to
djay

Did you just buy it, I just bought one at HD that came with brackets to bolt it down from the inside, check out the safes web site, some safes have an area made to be drilled through if you use the proper gasket and bracket.

This one didn't come with any mounting hardware... b 4 I drill into it, I'll call the manufacturer for any tips. I think putting holes in it would definitely drop the fire rating?

Djay

Reply to
djay

So all of these slabs were under the safe? The conduit allowed the thread-all to pass to/through the next slab etc?

I like this idea - but sounds like I'd have to buy a silent alarm service....

Loaded pistol will be in the safe - along with the other documents that need fire protection.

I bought this one as a "dual use" to protect stuff inside from both heat and naredowells. Thanks for the insight.

Djay

Reply to
djay

So my new HD Sentry safe isnt safe? How unsafe is it against theft.

I watched a show called "it takes a thief" and this guy litterally ripped out safes etc and took them with him to open later.

My goal is to make the "thievery" take as long as possible.

DJay

Reply to
djay

If you feel theft is real posible, let them have the safe and Hide valuables, its all a game anyway. My sentry fire safe has provisions to drill holes, it would seem to ruin the fire rating but Sentry included them.

Reply to
ransley

Why not just get a safety deposit box at your local bank??? Are they that expensive to rent???

Reply to
benick

as long as the floor underneath withstands the weight. :-p

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I dunno - banks have already screwed me enough! lol I may look into it though.

Djay

Reply to
djay

"benick" wrote in news:zqidnYGc1upqZ3TUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@neonova.net:

Yes they did get too expensive.

Reply to
Han

Other problems with SD boxes at banks: - They don't like it when you walk in with guns to put in the SD box. - Gun in bank SD box won't do you any good at home. - can't get in SD box after hours.

Reply to
Bob M.

Drill 4 holes in the bottom of the safe placing them so your wrench will fit over the heads of the fasteners you will use. Place the safe where you want it and mark the holes carefully with a pencil. You might also find it helpful to mark the outside corners in the event something moves you will know.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

It will but not to any appreciable degree. The floor on the bottom and the washer on the top tend to keep the steam inside the safe in the event of a fire, and the average residential fire does not blaze for as long as the rating of the safe, so you should be OK.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf