mounting a safe

Hi,

I bought a home safe small one. It can be floor mounted and I was wondeirng what I would need to mount it into the floor ? I have basic diy skills and tols. The flor has black tiles on top of it the kind the crack easily.

Erm.... just after what would be best ... would I need to laydown cement or somthing like that to mount it to?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks

Reply to
souls

Believe it or not a person(scum-bag) who breaks into houses hardly ever venture into the loft. ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

On a concrete floor, if the grout lines are reasonably wide you could get a angle grinder into them and grind very carefully around the tile or tiles, then hack them out with a cold chisel. If you don't grind first, there is a great risk of cracking adjacent tiles. You need to cut a hole with a pnewmatic drill to the required depth leaving an inch gap wider than the safe all around, and cement in the safe.

Reply to
Housemartin

LOL .. just be damn sure you don't put the safe above anyone's bed!!! ;o)

al

Presumably this is one of those cheap'n cheerful types like you get in hotel rooms?

You've missed out the key bit of information, which is, what's under the tiles - is it floorboards? Solid concrete? And the tiles are ceramic, I guess?

David

Reply to
Lobster

The tiles sound like vinyl/asbestos and could be mounted on anything; concrete or floor boards most likely. You need to bolt it down I guess, does it have holes in the base?

If floor boards under the tile then large screws will be OK, if concrete then screws & plugs - but a normal hammer drill won't touch concrete, you need SDS.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Yep its a relatively cheapish eletronic pad code type safe. Solid steel.

Its solid concrete under the tiles, the tiles are ceramic.

Cheers

Reply to
souls

...and you may also end up breaking through the DPM :-}

I`ve got a "medium" size safe, and to be honest, there`s not really that much of value in there - its sufficiently heavy without bolting it down to seriously hinder anyones' chances of a quick getaway !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Is it me, or is that phrase spectacularly pointless? A safe composed of solid steel would be rather useless, and heavy.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

david lang wrote: [...]- but a normal hammer drill won't touch

Rubbish, how do you think anybody drilled concrete before SDS was around? If it's a floor it won't be that horribly hard stuff they make those cast garages out of. A normal hammer drill will do nicely.

Dave

Reply to
Dave