safe reccomendation

Howdy doodily all,

I was wondeirng if anyone could recommend a safe.

Main purpose to to store money in it, no more than 5 thousand.

I want to bolt it down to a floor or wall.

Appreciate any help

thanks :-)

Reply to
mocha

Yes.

It's called a bank.

They have them in most high streets and they will happily look after your money for you, even paying you a small consideration for doing so.

The real magic is that you can get it out again from machines set into the walls of banks, supermarkets, filling stations and even launderettes if it needs to be cleaned.

I've never figured out how they get the notes down the wires, though.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah yes, but I once checked and you don't get the same notes back.

I'll look after the OP's money for him.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

How about

it's for money laundering.

-
Reply to
Mark

/me hands over my money to Mary to look after ... you look trustworthy ... /me bases that on your eye aint too close together

/me nods

Reply to
mocha

Problem with them is I cant get all the money I need when I want it. I think the maximum my bank gives out at a cash machine is something like £250 not good enough for me to be honest.

they get the notes down the wires by specially folding them in some secret oragami method only known to a select few.

Reply to
mocha

first link looks pretyt good didnt know woolies did safes ... looks good enough. Had a look on screw fix but nothing caught my eye.

second link lovely washing machine packed up over xmas so might need that.Never heard of that brand though.

Reply to
mocha

Have you got any more links to safes Mark ?

Reply to
mocha

I can envisage needing a few hundred quid on the *very* odd occasion, but I can't think of a legal reason for needing £5k in cash.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, only keys ;(

-
Reply to
Mark

I keep that much for buying cars \ spare parts (some very expensive) ... bit of a hobby Paying in cash sometimes gets me an angle to get a deal. Banks are a aggravation to be honest.

Reply to
mocha

Assuming it's my money, I can't think of any reason I shouldn't carry it all in cash if I wish.

Not necessarily practical, but let's not get into the realm that carrying many grand or more in cash implies you are a criminal! Some people hate banks. Some people don't like imagining (truly or falsely) that their private business is being logged on computer. Some people do a lot of private buying and selling (the previously mentioned cars is an obvious example - I don't bother with banks for 1-3 grand, a cash buy often secures a good sale. I get my receipts in writing, that's good enough for me.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Until something goes wrong and you can't use the Consumer Credit Act.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

How about:

*

John Rumm

Aldi have a safe in this week's special buys on their website

for £17.99

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Fox

Or I get mugged and it all get's nicked. Or I leave my coat on the train with the money in.

I didn't say there aren't disadvantages, I was mostly railing against the implied notion that carrying large amounts of cash is something only criminals do.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Difficult, not knowing your situation. IIWY I'd go and get proper advice from a locksmith. If it's not to be a concealed safe (you can put it somewhere out of normal view, in a cupboard, even) you ought to fix it with proper fixings into masonry, floor and wall if poss., in a position as inaccessible as possible, such as a corner, under the stairs, or whatever. You can get a reasonable safe for about 50 quid up second hand. Ask your insurance co. about it, too, and see what they cover and what they would be prepared to cover (and for how much!).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Go and talk to a locksmith. Safes are rated according to the amount of cash or valuables (usually ten times the cash value) that they are likely to carry and your insurance company will want you to use a properly specified one. Basic safes are unlikely to be rated for more than a few hundred pounds in cash. A genuine locksmith (rather that the places that claim to be security centres) will be able to discuss your needs and advise you on the safe and on any other related building security you might need.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Those and builders :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nice one Woolworths - Foil the buglers eh?

- nah it's the trumpeters you've got to worry about.

Reply to
xscope