: I built a dog house yesterday for a new lab puppy we're getting. I
: bought pressure treated wood (both plywood and 2x4's), figuring it
: would be exposed to the elements.
: I didn't consider that the dog could potentially chew on the wood until
: today. I
: was lucky in that the store had ACQ wood as opposed to CCA treated
: wood, as the arsenic in CCA treated wood is definitely harmful / fatal
: if ingested.
: However, is my dog safe with the ACQ wood? It has no toxic chemicals,
: and is safer than CCA treated wood, but I can't find anything regarding
: ingesting ACQ wood, such as lab testing, or stories with bad endings
: involving ACQ wood. What is everyone's opinion on using the ACQ wood
: for the dog house, and is there any testing done that I could look at
: to set my mind at ease?
I suggest getting the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for the
wood (which I believe the vendor must make available to
you; it's also probably available online), then call a good vet and ask about
those specific chemicals.
Also, and this may be faster, there should be an animal or pet poison control
center in your state. If not, call one in a different state. They
know their stuff.
-- Andy Barss