Primer for pressure treated wood?

I am going to paint a pressure treated swim platform with a polyurethane paint intended for truck bedlines.

The manufacturer says it adheres to wood just fine, but on PT they recommend a primer first, but do not suggest a specific primer.

Any suggestions for an appropriate primer? (or a different coating entirely? I was planing on using fiberglass, but that can't handle the wood movement.)

Reply to
toller

The manufacturer won't tell you what primer to use...and you're asking us?!?!?! What's wrong with this picture.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

"> I am going to paint a pressure treated swim platform with a polyurethane

I've used both alcohol-based and acrylic Bullseye or Zinzer for PT. These brands are especially good for sealing knots and bleeding pitch areas, and really adhere well to the wood. I think the thinner or alcohol based versions are the toughest, vs the acrylic. One variable might be the "freshness" of the PT. Some is actually almost wet with chemicals, and may interact with some paints. Make sure yours looks completely dry before you prime it.

Reply to
Roger

Truck paint is made to cure rock hard, is not designed for expansion and contraction that is necessary on exterior wood. Use a paint for wood from a top company like Sherwin Williams, Ben Moore, etc. They also carry commercial coatings and will steer you right.

Use the Right product for the Right job, and follow their instructions.

New PT must cure- dry out.

Reply to
m Ransley

polyurethane

Reply to
toller

polyurethane

Thanks, alchohol/Bullseye it is. I am using used wood because it was free, and on the theory it has gotten warping out of its system. So it had better be dry! Once I planed the weathered surface off, it looks great.

Reply to
toller

With most PT wood, planning the surface off takes away most of the treatment, exposing the untreated or very lightly treated wood to decay or insects. That is why they sell end cut treatment, because you cut through to expose the untreated core.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

A primer is always a good idea for a better paint job. Use the same brand primer as the paint. The trick with PT wood is to allow it to thoroughly dry before you paint. Wet wood can take 1 year per 1" thickness to dry.

Reply to
Phisherman

snip

Which product made by Zinsser is alcohol based? BIN is shellac based and is cleaned-up with alcohol but is not recommened for exterior use except for spot priming since it becomes too brittle for large surfaces.

Bruce A&B Construction Houston, TX

Bruce

Hmm. I didn't know that. It still has the PT coloring. Maybe my cuts were shallow enough to miss the core; turned 5/4 into 4/4.

Reply to
toller