Broadleaf weed pre-emergent?

I'm accustomed to applying a grassy weed (i.e - crabgrass) pre-emergent treatment in the early Spring, but would also like to do something to prevent broadleaf weeds from coming up in the Spring. I'm told now is the right time to treat for my area, which is Northeast Oklahoma. If it matters, the lawn is bermuda.

In the store I find the usual Barricade pre-emergent, which is mainly for grassy weeds, but supposedly has some effect on broadleaf weeds as well.

But I also find Greenlight Portrait (Isoxaben), which is specifically for broadleaf weeds. But, it's twice as expensive as Barricade, and conspicuously missing from the list of fully controlled weeds is clover, which is kinda my main thing.

Does anyone here have experience with either of these for broadleaf weeds? Or, does anyone know what the lawn services apply in the Fall to control Springtime broadleaf germination?

Reply to
Peabody

Pre-emergent now, would not work on spring weeds AFAIK.

How high do you mow it?

Are you /positive/ it's clover (and not Oxalis or Black Medic)?

Once the Bermuda goes dormant, it should be very easy to control weeds that thrive in cool weather. I'd rather have clover than Bermuda, any day of the week. Clover is a legume, that's a /very/ good thing to have in a lawn.

Probably, nothing.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Around the Central Texas area, County Agents are recommending corn gluton(sp). They say it is available at nurseries; suggest using it in early to middle October here, so it ought to about the right time in north Oklahoma.

They also recommend using it in the spring, but I don't recall the dates. Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

Around here, NJ, don;t know of anyone that does any pre-emergent for broadleaf weeds. Generally, a lawn that is made up of good turn and taken care of should only need some spot broadleaf weed control. As the OP noted, the pre-emergents used in Spring for crabgrass also surpress germination of weeds, etc too. Corn gluten is the organic approach. Don't know how much it costs in OK or TX, but here on the east coast, it's by far the most expensive pre-emergent. Also takes a much larger volume of material, which can be an issue. Also, since most broadleaf continue to germinate over a wide time span, you'd have to keep applying pre-emergent, which would make it cost ineffective compared to dealing directly with the problem.

If the OP has clover and really wants to get rid of it, why not just treat that directly? There are products specifically for clover and similar that are effective, where general broadleaf weedkiller doesn't do much. I think Ortho makes one. Clover is harder to deal with because the leaves are waxy. Once the clover is eradicated, it should stay under control for awhile.

Reply to
trader4

Jim

Trimec