TV Licence

The link that was given here previously reveals quite a lot about the different modes of operation of the vans and the hand-held detectors:

suspect, but don't quote me on this, that the hand-held detectors were developed for use with the older generation of detector vans which couldn't pin down the location of a TV that precisely from a distance. The current vans can identify the property in which a TV is in use (e.g. an individual dwelling within a block of flats) from - it says at that link - up to 60m away. With that capability I don't really know why hand-held detectors are used at all (maybe they aren't any more).

Richard.

Richard Russell

oh, with current technology, its very tricky to pick it up.

You are HOPING that there will be some leakage of some signal out of what is today a very low powered set.

Its probaly easier for the beeb to try and tie IP addresses that access its online content to households..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But, as pointed out elsewhere, licence collection has been farmed out to an external agency, what are they doing getting involved in something which is no longer within their remit ?

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

ELINT isn't only about TV sets - I suspect that more than one of these vans is in plain clothes.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Well indeed, there are far more interesting applications of remote detection (and more importantly viewing) of screens - and in particular not just those displaying TV/video.

Reply to
John Rumm

Maybe something more sophisicated than this

ARWadsworth

In message , ARWadsworth writes

It might not detect, but it certainly made Mr McCormick a bomb

Reply to
geoff