Argos TV - Licence - Big Brother

I witnessed a heated arguement the other day between a lady wishing to buy an LCD TV and an Argos employee.
Apparently, Argos are required by law to take the name and address of anybody purchasing a TV or any TV related peripherals and pass these on to the licencing authorities. The lady in question was having none of this and contested the issue even after the store manager was called. She claimed that, on principle, it was wrong that she had to supply her personal details and if she wanted to buy a lawnmower, these would not be required.
In the end she stormed out without making a purchase and Argos lost the sale of a 500 TV.
I can't help feeling she had a point :-)
On 01/06/2013 02:31, Wesley wrote:

Maybe, but Argos were right - they have to do that, like every other TV seller in this country. She should take it up with her MP if she feels this is wrong.
I believe the traditional answer for somebody in her situation is to give a false name/address. I do wonder if she's now gone online and bought one to be delivered to her home...

buy

his and

imed

tails

sale

Heh, the problem is that if she does that, the guarantee would be invalid? How could she have a TV delivered without giving her address?
Jim K
On 01/06/2013 06:36, harry wrote:

Well, duh, that's my point.
On 01/06/2013 02:57, Clive George wrote:

The other technique is to use the address of someone who has a licence. Most of us probably know someone with a licence...
--
Rod

On 01/06/2013 08:25, polygonum wrote:

Remember to look up the address of the Argos head office before you go shopping!
Like when registering on a website that insists on having an email address, for no sensible reason, I normally use postmaster@ and their domain!
--
Cheers,

John.
On 01/06/2013 02:57, Clive George wrote:

I often wondered if those TV detector vans actually worked? Or were they pure front to scare people?

After serious thinking The Medway Handyman wrote :

They were mostly a scare tactic - although they did work, there were simply not enough of them to catch many culprits.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

I'm pretty sure they would work if you lived in an isolated house on the moors somewhere, but I refuse to believe that they could work in a a tenement building with dozens or hundreds of flats.
Every steel beam or metal pipe would distort the signals from all the TV sets.
Of course they might just look through the window!
--
Windmill, snipped-for-privacy@Nonetel.com Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Wesley wrote:

Really? You really did not know this already?

TV peripherals? You sure they said that? HDMI lead? DVD player? Never been asked for personal details for either of those. That sounds like bollocks to me. I don't believe a store manager would say that. Mind you, its been a while, maybe things have changed and Im out of date.

So what? I think many laws are wrong in principle. Doesn't mean I can make other people break them for me.

No, because there is no lawnmower licence.

And Argos avoided being fined for not doing their legal duty.

Well, she didn't. She is an idiot. Or, let's be kind, ignorant of the law.
What point do you think she had? Should have have been able to coerce the Argos manager in to breaking the law?
--
AC

On 01/06/2013 03:49, AC wrote:

There are some shops that over implement the requirement... perhaps not the the extent of requiring details for the purchase of an HDMI lead, but I was certainly asked to provide details once when purchasing a DVD player in Tesco. A DVD player with no capability to receive TV!
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 05:57:58 +0100, John Rumm

Probably not Tesco policy, unless there is some covert way to rip customers off attatched!
Basically staff serving customers seem to develop an air of authourity inversely proportional to their intelligence. If a DVD and setop box both produce pictures on a domestic TV isn't it obvious to anyone with half a brain cell, that logic dictates that if the set top box needs a licence, then so must the DVD player.
Now anyone with a full working brain cell would know this and just sell the thing, but such gifted individuals would probably not be working for Tesco anyway!
AB
On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 13:11:19 +0100, Archibald wrote:

In the case of Tesco et al, the checkout operator will follow what their screen tells them to do. So if some plonker in the back room has decided that a DVD player needs TV Licence information to be gathered they will set the flag on that POS record to (wrongly) gather that information. The checkout operator may well know that a DVD player doesn't need that information collected but not to do so could well land 'em (wrongly) in trouble.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Tbf, it's probably not the poor sod who is sitting on the till that's cocked up at tesco.
A few (5?) years back I was in the queue at Tesco behind someone buying a DVD player. As John says, the wanted the guys address for TV licence bods - the till wouldn't complete the transaction until it was entered. The guy on the till knew this was rubbish and a mistake on the system, but couldn't override the till.
Eventually the manager was called who also claimed not to be able to override it and the customer ended up showing the manager what appeared to be a business card and whispered (well, spoke quietly so I couldn't hear anyway :-)) something to him. Big change of attitude, till guy told to enter store postcode and big apology to the customer.
I've always wondered what was on the business card. Till guy was also in the dark. I'd love to know what was said - maybe he was a highup bod from Tesco? Anyway sounds from Johns experience they still do it so nothing was fixed :-(
Darren
On 01/06/2013 20:47, D.M.Chapman wrote:

In my case it was quite a few years ago...
--
Cheers,

John.

You really think so
when I had to do this is was a right PITA, to be avoided if possible
I certainly didn't invent reasons to do it to prove to the world the I had some "power" over the customer
AC wrote:

You can buy a fishing rod without a licence....
--
Adam

On 01/06/2013 08:33, ARW wrote:

There are places you can fish without a licence - even within the UK. E.g. your own pond.
You can buy a car without a licence.
--
Rod

polygonum wrote:

And you could be buying the TV as a gift or just to watch DVDs.
--
Adam