TV licence. Is ithis true?

Just read on an official looking website that to watch Netflix or YouTube only, you nee a TV licence in the UK. Is this true?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Source?

You don?t need a TV Licence if you only ever use online services to watch on demand or catch up programmes, except if you?re watching BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.

Adrian Caspersz

But beware that e.g sky news or GB news are "nearly live" on youtube, so would need a licence

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for the info. It's not that I'm stingy but I believe the Tories and their mates have made enough from Covid and Brexit to pay for their own propoganda machine.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Oh the irony! Paying the BBC to watch GBN! Was there ever a more compelling argument for doing away with the anachronistic licence fee?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

An estimated £5 billion has been lost to fraudulent Bounce back loans and the other business loan and many of the culprits for some reason seem to have names that are most common in Pakistan, Bangladesh and other hot places.

Reply to
Andrew

Did they need a licence?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Milke,

The criteria is "Live" so as Netflix now has some live sport, you may need a licence if you watch it. Not so sure about YouTube.

From the official FAQ

"If you watch TV programmes live on any online TV service, including Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, ITV Hub or All 4, you need to be covered by a TV Licence."

&

"You don?t need a TV Licence to watch on demand programmes on Netflix."

but how on earth they would know...... ..... I suppose they could ask Netflix .....

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

criterion

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's Amazon Prime that carries some live sport, everything on Netflix (so far) is non-live drama and documentaries.

Reply to
Mark Carver

though "live" is defined as

"where that programme is received at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is received by members of the public by virtue of its being broadcast or distributed as part of that service."

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, If you can watch those you are capable of watching the bbc in the same way, so one supposes yes. I mean the only exception I can find is if you have a device that only has audio outputs, then you don't need one. Even a monitor on a computer needs one if its connected to the internet by their definition. Most problems seem to revolve around student accommodation with the occupants all watching on tablets. That is a difficult one since these are portable, and if you watch in the park or in your car parked up I doubt they should need an extra licence. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

If the bib did a subscription, would you pay for it. Its getting ridiculous at the moment since everyone has a paid for offering. Would it really worry anyone if all programs were delayed, say six months and first runs were on subscription channels with no adverts. The cost of subscribing and the completely different interfaces to each service could be almost impossible for anyone to really afford or actually use. No more point and soot program selection, and everyone has its own guide in its own format, some have AD some don't its a nightmare for the non tech savvy. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Perhaps those places are good for breeding new brains? I don't know how this conversation got derailed, but I think its when footers are bigger than the posts. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Keep your comments to yourself. Foreign git!

Reply to
R Souls

Virtually. Is there a legal meaning for that?

We've been complaining for weeks about the poor ping time on our corporate VPN...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I think that the rules are that you can watch on your parents' home licence, as long as your device is not connected to the mains. So tablets and laptops are okay.

As they have no right of entry, I don't know how they could prove that a device was plugged into the mains though.

If the student used a VPN to connect to their parents' home network, they'd appear to be watching at home anyway.

Reply to
Steve Walker

The reason I don't buy a TV licence is that the wretched bbc gets the money, and no-one else does, yet I have to pay if I want to watch other channels ("live", from anywhere in the world), which get none of the licence fee. I strongly object to this*.

So, while I have a TV, I don't use it to watch "live" programmes, or use the wreched bbc's wretched iplayer to watch anything. I do not need a licence.

They keep sending threatening letters, which I drop into the recycling. The year before last, they said they'd send someone to see about it, but didn't. More threatening letters ensued, then more "we'll send someone 'round", etc. Good for them. If they do send someone around, I will tell them to go away. Let them in "to look around"? Fat chance. Should they come back with a policeman and a search warrant, I will of course let them in, and when they find I don't need a licence, tell them to go away again.

What? I should tell them I don't need a licence? They'd send someone around anyway, to check! No, let them waste their time.

THeir intent, AIUI, is to reform licence fee payments, putting a levy on council tax or internet connection. I have the same objection to this as before (*). It won't do.

The bbc should be either free, like other channels, a subscription service, or be broken up and sold off to whoever wants its various assets.

Note: if you know someone who does need a TV licence, and lives in a "cvare home", or qualifying assisted living accommodation, they can get a full TV licence for £7.50/year. See TV licencing or the accommodation's manager for details.

  • Paying the bbc to watch other channels isn't acceptable. Compare paying a fee to (for instance) Tesco to shop at Asda, or someone else. That seems to me the same sort of idea, but who would not object to it!
Reply to
Chris Bacon

However if you think of it like a 'dog licence' or a car's 'tax' then it's not so odd. It was originally simply a tax for having a radio (in pre TV days), to some extent the intent was so that the government could keep an eye on people who had radios and thus might listen to 'naughty' programs from those dangerous spies and such overseas.

As the technology has totally changed over the years calling it a Radio (or TV) Licence is misleading and confusing. Also, the rules for when you need one, really can't be made to make sense.

Reply to
Chris Green

I've recently not renewed. The bizarre aspect of all of the chasing letters I've received is that the "when you need a licence" criteria are all different - even when stated on either side of the same letter!

PA

Reply to
Peter Able