New wiki page - DIY PVR

This has been floating about on the back burner for a while (I did a stub of it back in April 2020), so thought it time to add some meat to its bones!

At the moment it's only a basic outline, so your thoughts would be appreciated. In particular:

Does it want more detail (or links to external pages with more) on setup of the software?

Does the network basics belong there, or move it to a separate article?

Has anyone else got other implementations worth adding to the list of examples?

Reply to
John Rumm

That seems a little disorganised. I'd have thought the decisions would be in this order:

  1. What hardware do you have, or can afford to buy? (old PC, HTPC build, Pi, etc)
  2. What software platforms will run on it? Will they suit your requirements (eg 4K decode/output)
  3. What TV receiving hardware do you need/they support?
  4. How to set it up (installing it, configuring networking, etc) - will rather depend on the specific platform.

Going via an app on a NAS is possibly a bit advanced/niche for people who don't already have a NAS. I'd have thought one of the 'distros' (LibreElec, XBian, etc) would be a good starting point, although they are often oriented towards streaming and DVB hardware support isn't always so well integrated.

I installed XBian on a Pi 4. It was fine. It used my TV remote control for navigation, which was nice. It doesn't support DVB in its raw state, but there are apps for that. It didn't like my cheapo DVB-T2 stick out of the box so I had to fiddle around[*], but I got it working.

The DVB side is a separate server (TVHeadend) with its own web page to configure it, and the UI tripped me up a few times. It's not as well integrated as something with integral DVB support, but once set up it was all fine.

It's not the most reliable setup in the world ever, but that could be my cheapo DVB stick.

Theo

[*] the stick offers two tuners, TVHeadend connects to the first one, but it actually wants the second one. The /dev/dvb nodes need renaming to switch them around.
Reply to
Theo

Off the shelf Receivers/PVR such as the Enigma2 boxes made by perhaps a dozen different manufacturers don't have the limitations that you suggest under the "The DIY PVR project" heading.

These boxes allow practically everything set out in your goals

all boxes listed are Enigma2)

These boxes can run images (software) such as Openvix

alan_m

The Raspberry Pi Foundation supply their own DVB-T2 tuner which simply plugs into a Pi.

I've got two, they work perfectly. They're £20 though I think I paid less than that (it was some time ago).

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

They are currently less than £7 on Amazon.

Bought one, haven't done anything with it yet.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

You've spelled 'programmes' wrongly.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

At 9pm today "There is currently no text 1n this page"

Reply to
Dave W

Check you are following the whole link including the bit with the brackets...

Reply to
John Rumm

What about talking menus for the blind :-)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

... almost all the time.

(FWIW I think theatres and TVs have programmes, and computers have programs. Which is interesting for a smart TV...)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

ok I have included many of the comments and added a section on the decision process for choice of hardware.

I have added links to a new article:

Where we can expand on systems that can do much of this out of the box (since they don't appear to be from the commonly promoted bigger brands).

I have shifted the section on static IP addresses to the existing Networking article:

I have added a stub for a description of the Pi based setup that Theo described. Perhaps he could add some more description to the process of setting it up and what it can do etc?

Reply to
John Rumm

Some of the "chinese" brands that make these linux receivers are now common UK big name brands.

It's the image/software that makes these boxes so versatile. Written by hobbyists it is often better supported than that available from the big brands which tend to drop support once a box is a year old.

Reply to
alan_m

John, are you aware of:

where you can find out what is and what is not supported on Linux,

You mention Silicon HD HomeRun, they are DVB-T2 only You can get DVB-S2 recieved in SAT>IP config such as the Digibit R1 or the Triax TSS

400 SAT IP Transmitter 4XDVB S2 LAN.

there is even a IP LNB from Inverto but they are as rare as Hen's teeth:

Many backend servers like MythTV, BeyondTV, Plex, Twonky, Kodi can work with SAT>IP as well as from HD HomeRun tuners

There are also some front end software too such as VLC media player that can work with Sat>IP and also on HDHomeRun according to

S.

Reply to
SH

Thanks - that fixed it. My usenet reader shows the first part as a blue link and the (PVR) black, but when I copied the whole thing I saw an underline filling the gap.

Reply to
Dave W

Could you add some links to the page to highlight some?

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed. When I was deciding what to put on my setup I decided against adding DVB-S at the time since it was less well supported in Plex then, and partly because I already had enough channels to play with on DVB-T. I might add it one day - I think the dish still works although I have not used it for years!

Handy link, ta.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for this.

I've just bought a DVB card for a Pi - should let me assemble a PVR for under £10 from the bits bin. I'll add anything relevant I come up with.

It's more than a little irritaing that the streams captured from a smart TV can't be saved in a standard video format.

Reply to
RJH

IME the smart TV recording capabilities I have tried so far have all been best described as "austere". I.e. it only has one tuner, so can record a program while you are not watching, but not a different one from one you are watching, and then you can't extract the recording to play it back anywhere else.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not always the case... if you happen to have both a DVB-S2 AND a DVB-T2 tuner onboard, it is possible to record something on one tuner and watch something else on the other tuner.

This *may* also extend to watching a Streaming programme on Netflix or Disney or whatever and teh TV can record to a USB HDD the output from the DVB-nN tuner(s) on board.

Reply to
SH