TV licence

I read in the latest Which magazine that a home TV licence covers the owners to use a portable to receive live broadcasts anywhere as long as the TV is powered by internal batteries.
This got me thinking, what about all the caravaners? Their TVs are mostly powered by external batteries or even mains when hooked up on site. Should they have two licences?
Mike
Who knows. I'm thinking that maybe as they are transient, the site should have as many of them as they have plots and sub devide the costs to each person staying there.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Muddymike" < snipped-for-privacy@mattishall.org.uk> wrote in message
On 31/05/2013 18:05, Muddymike wrote:

Not according to the Camping and Caravan Club. The TV Licensing site is silent on the matter of touring caravans, although it does say that a home TV licence covers static caravans used as second homes if the TV is never used at both sites at the same time.
Colin Bignell
On Friday 31 May 2013 18:58 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

We never used to worry when we had a 12V TV (powered by the caravan battery). It was then (1980s) reckoned that a home license covered such things.

On Fri, 31 May 2013 18:58:20 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

Just for the hell of it :-)
Do EU rules cover the use of TVs by visitors from abroad in camper vans and caravans?
Equally does a UK licence cover you for t'Continent?
And what about Switzerland?
[Consider both terrestrial and satellite.]
Cheers
Dave R
On Fri, 31 May 2013 18:05:30 +0100, "Muddymike"

Stupid inane rule, but AFAIK you are right.
I have wondered if you put your 12v TV in a 3 sided box with some batteries are they still considered to be internal? If not, what if you built the TV yourself, surely only you would be the arbiter of what constitutes the case?
Of course, you wouldn't be able to legally charge the batteries while the set was working because the battery wouldn't be the sole source of power. I'm sure there are other anomalies.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

there used to be a ruling that if the whole household left to go in a caravan or to a holiday cottage, the household licence would cover you. but if you left someone at home, then the caravan would need its own licence.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
charles explained :

So what would be the chances of them simultaneously catching you running a TV away from home and at home :D
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Zero. You don't actually believe that detector vans detect do you? ;-)
Tim+ explained :

In the 1950's through maybe to the 1960's they did. Now they rely on knocking on the door and hoping to catch a glimpse of you watching TV, as their is no line scan frequency leaked by a modern TV.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

AFIAA they have never been used to provide evidence to obtain a warrant to search for receiving apparatus. The few non co-operating prosecutions have followed 'flickering light' evidence<?> based warrants.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Could be interesting. InFrance (and I suppose in UK) Liddle sell a 'flickering multi coloured light' as a security item John
--
jtm from his iPad

Detector vans never did look for line scan. They're looking for Local Oscillator leakage.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 8th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3179
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"
On 03/06/13 16:53, Huge wrote:

IIRC they DID look for line scan as it was totally dominant ..LO could be anywhere depending on channel tuned and set design.
Later they looked for LO leakage but not initially. Mostly though they were for show only.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead
On 31/05/2013 10:41 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

There are one or, two documentarys interviewing the early operators of such detection vans. They said there was nothing in the back apart from benches to carry the door knockers.
--
One click voting to change the world.
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/
RayL12 wrote on 02/06/2013 :

I can assure you that is simply not true. A couple of the old detectors van were preserved.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Then they were as stupid as you and had never seen the inside of one.
--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

On 31/05/2013 18:05, Muddymike wrote:

Obvious way round is to watch catch-up things only. Assuming sufficient bandwidth to the caravan...
--
Rod

On Fri, 31 May 2013 18:05:30 +0100, "Muddymike"

Surely one of the benefits of staying in a caravan is to get away from the TV...
--
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine brought next idea :

You might well think so, but it is a concession for SWMBO to be able to watch her soaps or it is a no go :D
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)