TV licence

+1
Reply to
RayL12

I can assure you that is simply not true. A couple of the old detectors van were preserved.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

And no mention of internal batteries? So I wonder where Which got that from? Incidentally I don't own a caravan but was just intrigued by the whole thing.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

That's one of the *other* options. It covers a handheld-type used anywhere, although I guess thatwas really for the little analogue ones.

The internal batteries thing is also relevant to students, where the same condition applies.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Then they were as stupid as you and had never seen the inside of one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It may have stuck in peoples minds from car radio licence days. If a radio used in a car ran off internal batteries - ie a portable - no car radio licence needed. If it ran off the car battery, one needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, there is a specific provision. For example (but not exclusively) here:

home-aud8/

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah ha, so we have it, from;

"You don?t need a separate TV Licence for Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home?s TV Licence will cover this. Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they?re already covered by your main home?s TV Licence.

Static caravans, mobile homes or moveable chalets. Your main home?s TV Licence will cover you provided you don?t watch TV in both homes at the same time. In this case you would need to complete a declaration form."

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Detector vans never did look for line scan. They're looking for Local Oscillator leakage.

Reply to
Huge

IIRC they DID look for line scan as it was totally dominant ..LO could be anywhere depending on channel tuned and set design.

Later they looked for LO leakage but not initially. Mostly though they were for show only.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher