Argos TV - Licence - Big Brother

What was wrong with my car at 08:39?

:-) :-):-)

Reply to
polygonum

required.

You can buy at TV without a licence. You can't buy a TV without giving your name and address.

It's donkies years since I did any fishing, but IIRC there isn't a national single "fishing licence" but permit charges levied by the various fishing rights holders for any bit of water.

I think you'd be hard pressed to buy a car without giving your name and address as well, can't be arsed to find a V5 and see what that wants...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Me not reading it :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Vaguely on topic

stuart noble

They were mostly a scare tactic - although they did work, there were simply not enough of them to catch many culprits.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You are supposed to fill in a tear off bit of the V5 with the new keepers details, when you sell a vehicle and post it off to DVLA.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Keeper is not necessarily owner.

Reply to
polygonum

Well, duh, that's my point.

Reply to
Clive George

You could buy a new car without giving your name and address?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We're talking new here, surely? The selling garage would normally sort out the VED so the new car can be driven away - hence they'd need your name and address. The car maker also wants it in event of a re-call.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If I went to the garage to buy a car for my partner, I could quite easily pay and ask for partner to be put into her name. Thus buying a car without identifying myself. If I did that in cash, or other non-personally identifiable method, why would they need my details?

Sure, we would probably assume same address, but you don't have to be very inventive to come up with scenarios in which that might not be the case.

Reply to
polygonum

Probably not Tesco policy, unless there is some covert way to rip customers off attatched!

Basically staff serving customers seem to develop an air of authourity inversely proportional to their intelligence. If a DVD and setop box both produce pictures on a domestic TV isn't it obvious to anyone with half a brain cell, that logic dictates that if the set top box needs a licence, then so must the DVD player.

Now anyone with a full working brain cell would know this and just sell the thing, but such gifted individuals would probably not be working for Tesco anyway!

AB

Reply to
Archibald

As you could do when buying a new TV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From past experience, the provision of an address is nothing to do with the warranty. The address given does not have to be accurate or even a UK address. I have bought a couple of set top boxes at my local Asda and they are quite happy to accept a Southern Irish address.

The only time I had problems was nominating 10 Downing Street at my abode. It was then explained to me that Asda could come in for a hefty fine knowingly taking false information, or not taking the information in the first place.

I do have a licence incidentally, although I suspect that if someone wasn't to keen on having one, things would be fairly easy these days. As few sets have a line timebase now, then the only thing a detector would have to go for is the tuners local oscillator, a miniscule signal in an ocean of polluted airwaves.

Incidentally years back I was in the TV trade. A customer on a large and not too reputable council estate described how she was visited by the licencing authourity, she admitted them to the house, showed them the TV and was as helpful as possible. her neighbour threatened to "kick the head in" of anyone trying to enter his house.

Only one got fined. Any guesses which one?

AB

AB

Reply to
Archibald

I have always been under the impression that it is the _purchaser's_ name and address that are demanded. Not those of the eventual possessor.

Or a meringue?

Reply to
polygonum

"her" that was living at "his" house got the fine.

At least my Mum was not charged when found to "be in control" of an unlicenced TV.

Reply to
ARW

In the case of Tesco et al, the checkout operator will follow what their screen tells them to do. So if some plonker in the back room has decided that a DVD player needs TV Licence information to be gathered they will set the flag on that POS record to (wrongly) gather that information. The checkout operator may well know that a DVD player doesn't need that information collected but not to do so could well land 'em (wrongly) in trouble.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not enough plods to fend him off I suppose, so there was no one to assist with the entry.

All I know is, being nice & helpul cost the poor woman £50-00.

'Wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court I would guess. being helpul and providing the evidence wouldn't require any level of fairness in return.

AB

Reply to
Archibald

I may be wrong here, but I seem to recollect that the Buisiness or trade licence was something issued freely or at a token cost. The collecting of data was part of the agreement.

Now if a dealer didn't connect a set up to an aerial and the mains, they wouldn't need a licence. Internet dealers and "box shifters" should be free of the need for a licence therefore.

There are lot's of anomolies in the system that I do not think have been properly tested in the courts. You have had the ridiculous situation where someone was fined for recording a program on a colour enabled video when they only had a black & white TV & Licence.

A set used exclusively for foreign broadcasts does not need a licence. And I wonder how many people have been prosecuted for watching TV on broadband?

AB

Reply to
Archibald

Oh, yes, it does.