OLED TV experience.

Anyone got one? Now the prices are coming down, wondered if anyone could give their experience of it. Just a quick look in a shop is never the same as living with one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

was in Pissy World yesterday

one of the staff had a T-Shirt with the slogan

"It's OLED, not OLED."

I still haven't got a clue

tim

Reply to
tim...

Are you sure it wasn't "It's QLED, not OLED"?

Samsung have been using it in an ad campaign for their qled TVs.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Very thin screen as no backlight. Screen pixels are comprised of actual LEDs so you get zero colour shift or brightness +-90 degrees vertically and horizontally unlike LCD screen which require a backlight (as in an LED backlight) and rely on light polarization to modulate light transmission. As screen is made up of LED's they can turn fully off, giving maximum blacks and therfore a very high contrast ratio. We have had one for 3 years now, would not ever go back to an LCD based screen.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Yeah and QLEDs *do* have (LED) backlights.

Reply to
Max Demian

Any sign of screen-burn? Or do you think it's been overcooked as an issue?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Yup, I have a 4K LG OLED... TL;DR summary, yup I like it, and would buy again.

This one IIRC:

Pros, that I care about - very good picture, infinite contrast (especially impressive if watching in subdued lighting - the black level is truly black, with no bleed through like you get on a LCD. Plenty of connectivity. The smart capabilities are good, fairly well supported by add on apps etc. The main CPU and UI are acceptably fast (certainly faster than some other smart TVs I have used). The magic point and click remote works remarkably well.

Upscaled SD content is impressive. HD very good. 4K in resolution terms is better - but not massively so (depending a bit on screen size and viewing distance), however most 4K stuff is also HDR[2], and that is a noticeable and dramatic enhancement, transforming the image into something pretty close to cinematic.

Pros I don't care about: most of it is very thin and would look flash on a stand (however, given the way its mounted [1] its wasted on me). The sound on it is ok for a flat screen - but I never use it since its setup as part of a proper surround sound system.

Cons: There is a very slight halo effect around high contrast areas on some scenes, that tweaking sharpness etc does not quite get rid off. (current models may have fixed this)

Very dark scenes on non HDR stuff can show some solarisation down in the close to black levels. Note this may be a limitation of the content rather than the TV though since its not obvious in HDR stuff.

There is also sometimes a shadow image style artifact - looks a bit like mild screen burn, and is a feature of many OLED displays. Its not permanent, and the TV will clear it from time to time - but now and then you will see some artefact of something that was displayed previously when showing a background of a single colour.

[1] The chap in Sevenoaks's hifi was bigging up how slim it was... I mentioned that as long at it was less than about a foot deep I did not care since I knew what I was going to build it into:

[2] To get the best out of HDR, you often need to tell your source devices what dynamic range the TV is actually capable of, else they will artificially limit what they send. I found on my blueray player for example its default setting was only about 2/3rds of what TV would actually handle.

Reply to
John Rumm

I once had some screen burn - last Christmas I put a 4k Youtube video on it of a log fire - just to be chrissmassy. Was on about 4 hours and could detect the fire on video after that for a day or two. Its not so much a burn as a difference in emissivity of the different colour LED's if they have been thrashed for a while. As I say it completly went after a couple of days as the TV calibrated it out. The TV has a setting where it can remove fixed artifacts in the backgrount when the TV is on standby. I'm guessing it recalibrates/normalises each LEDs drive current as it apparently takes several hours to recal the whole panel.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Nice cabinet. The tv fits very tidily.

Reply to
pamela

I wanted to fit a 65", but could not come up with a design where it looked right.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed!

I'm thinking of doing something similar in an alcove. Your design seems to set the TV a little high maybe? And is that a soundbar, or a centre speaker underneath the TV? I'm trying to work out if I can fit a centre and two front speakers in a 1m wide space.

Reply to
RJH

What is Qled then? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

One issue I do have with leds generally is there non linearity with current and voltage. I wonder if they have finally conquered the sample variation to make this idea work, and how do they keep them cool and long lived enough I wonder? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

They do have powerful processing in the set, not sure if that includes per pixel calibration on OLED sets, I know the backlit LCDs divide the screen into many areas and use selective dimming on each.

Some TVs do have fans in them, probably harder to squeeze in now with such thin screens.

Reply to
Andy Burns

quantum dots, here's a speech-based video about them

Andy Burns

A mate has the new top of the range Sony OLED, yes of course it's very, very nice but even showing content from a 4K Blue Ray, my eyes can't really see what the fuss is about. (6/5 6/6 uncorrected with normal colour vision before anyone asks :) )

Oh and it is *not* as bright as the Samsung Qled, due to design constraints. Of course in a dark room that is probably not going to matter to anyone.

Would a "Home cinema calibration" make it look any better? Possibly, but he is the type to drill down therough comments on AVS and similar fora and set it up appropriately.

Should mention that I have an OLED Android tablet and I don't find the display on that any better that SWMBO's iPad...

Reply to
Lee

Have been looking at such things as I have been in PCW and other places. Some fo the screens look really good.

Trouble is, none of the better technologies are available under forty inches. We have 32" at present, and wouldn't mind increasing size slightly - maybe 90cm/35", but we neither need nor want 40"+. Please, someone, make an intermediate size?

Most now jump from 80cm/32" to 110cm/43" - though there are quite a few 100cm/40" models.

It isn't that we couldn't make the space so much as we see no reason to have such a large television as we can both see it perfectly well.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Reading that back it sounds a bit trolly or tinged with jealousy ;) That wasn't the intent. I'd like to qualify that I meant I personally don't find the mid to high OLED is *that superior* to a recent high end LCD. Of course it's going to be very much better than older or "budget" LCD panels.

Said mate from previous post also recently changed his main speakers because "they don't sound right" - needless to say the replacements don't sound any different to me :) :)

Reply to
Lee

Really? I'm space limited to 43" and I've not seen any OLEDs of that size. Admittedly I haven't looked that hard . . .

Then there's content - I don't have ready access to HDR/UHD material. I think I'm right in saying I'd need to subscribe to Netflix or somesuch for HDR/UHD? Which I don't fancy doing right now.

Generally, though, I'm OK with my LG 4k TV. I'd like blacker blacks, a decent processor driving the smarts, and better off-axis viewing. But it can wait.

Reply to
RJH

There a QLED of 43:

But no OLEDs. That's why I just said "better technologies". :-)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google