Argos TV - Licence - Big Brother

I Read That as:- "restrained".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Archibald writes

Normally, radio amateurs don't broadcast*. The normal UK amateur radio licence doesn't cover the reception of broadcast commercial TV signals.

*Exceptions include the transmission of news broadcasts, which require special authorisation.

There are those who will argue that an amateur, by the terms of his licence, should be capable of checking for interference problems, and so should have a working broadcast TV installation. I therefore guess, for this purpose, he doesn't need a broadcast TV licence - provided he doesn't actually watch the TV for the purpose of enjoyment, entertainment or education!

This is probably not so. At one time, the old TV/radio licence used to specify that you could receive broadcast TV/radio transmissions, AND amateur radio transmissions. It may still be there, buried in the various rules and regulations. If it isn't, then arguably there is no licence which authorises you to receive amateur radio/TV transmissions (other than the amateur radio licence). This used to be the case with CB transmissions, which (arguably) could only be received if you actually had a CB licence.

As I've said above, if there is no regulation specifically allowing you to receive amateur TV signals, then legally, you can't. The WTA is one of those cases where if you aren't authorised to, you can't.

You need a TV licence for ALL broadcast TV - full stop.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Sounds a bit like Virgin. I get about one letter a week trying to get me to subscribe to their service.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So do I - and I already use them.

Reply to
ARW

The correct procedure is to shove the letters into a postbox with "Return to sender- unwanted junk mail" written across them. It's coming up to 5 years now since they last contacted me.

Reply to
ARW

You really think so

when I had to do this is was a right PITA, to be avoided if possible

I certainly didn't invent reasons to do it to prove to the world the I had some "power" over the customer

Reply to
tim......

+10

I am more bemused by the overall response in this thread. I would have expected more like yours. People paying a license for watching, what I consider as, mostly crap, is disgusting.

There is far more 'entertainment' on the Net. There is much more good and, free advice. The BBC (actually a curtain) produces nothing that helps human kind. They simply keep people amused enough so as not to see what is actually going on.

The most likely victim of the licensing law is the poor single mum with kids. That, of all the transmissions that are freely(in a fashion)given, cannot be watched because the BBC says IT is the ruler of the airwaves.

The BBC has wormed it's way into nearly every form of media receivers such that you have to pay for 'free information' regardless of it's source.

At one time the law included only the actually frequencies broadcast by the BBC and some people detuned their sets of those frequencies in order to avoid payment. It was not long before these laws were changed and, they continue to do so. It will not be long before you HAVE to register the PC.

The BBC is nothing but a blanket over our heads. If those behind the BBC think it deserves the payment then let them show their confidence and set the broadcasts on a scrambled line. Let people choose to pay.

They dare not! They want your money, regardless.

Stop watching TV, it is, on the whole, useless. The news you get is hugely filtered such that you only get the doom and gloom. When kept in stress, your fight and flight system is being energised and your mind locked into fear and defence.

People are kept so busy, stressed or, ideally entertained, that we do not realise that we have the power to change. So stressed are we that we look to those that utter the right words of, 'we can help you, vote for us'!

Does anyone remember the huge turn of events that was so revolutionary that it was splashed all over every surface of news media in the UK and America? That of the arrest and imprisonment of the prime minister and major bankers of Iceland? No, of course you didn't!! It wasn't considered news worthy. After all, if people thought they had the power to make change things could get bad, ..for some.

Register with similar sites like the one in my sig. One click voting. Many politicians and companies are being persuaded to change their agendas because of the pressure put upon them through petitions.

Recently, Npower(tax dodgers) have been petitioned by 170,000 voters of '38 Degrees' to pay the taxes. This took all of three days. Dependent upon the results of an arranged meeting with Npower, when notified we are all ready to swap providers.

Reply to
RayL12

+1
Reply to
RayL12

Archibald formulated the question :

They do not broadcast, they are not allowed to - they simply transmit for reception by other amateurs.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I beg to differ!

Broadcast in the legal sense, pays scant regards to the ethereal disturbance so loved by Mr Lodge.

Oddly enough it seems to suggest that someone watching commercial TV in Northern Ireland isn't watching a "broadcast"

AB

Reply to
Archibald

But the lady in question was trying to buy a TV...

It was Tesco that were insisting on address details for a DVD player.

Reply to
John Rumm

I was commenting on "Argos are required by law to take the name and address of anybody purchasing a TV or any TV related peripherals". This is not true, hence Argos were wrong.

They were also wrong. Being wrong is not a monopoly industry. No paper cards, no houses, no lead trinkets.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Tell that to dennis.

Reply to
ARW

On the top of her head, maybe. Argos were just obeying the law.

Reply to
Huge

You object to the terms "analogue" and "digital" when used to distinguish between the previous and current methods of transmitting (terrestrial) TV signal?

Do you have your very own set of labels to make this distinction?

The rest of the country doesn't seem to follow your ideas on this.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Remember to look up the address of the Argos head office before you go shopping!

Like when registering on a website that insists on having an email address, for no sensible reason, I normally use postmaster@ and their domain!

Reply to
John Rumm

They didn't like cheesecake, but they did like trifle.

Reply to
Windmill

Which just goes to show what a disgusting bunch they are. Surely for God's sake they could make it free, not merely discounted.

Reply to
Windmill

I'm pretty sure they would work if you lived in an isolated house on the moors somewhere, but I refuse to believe that they could work in a a tenement building with dozens or hundreds of flats.

Every steel beam or metal pipe would distort the signals from all the TV sets.

Of course they might just look through the window!

Reply to
Windmill

You might perhaps have had more luck if you'd said 11 Downing St., depending on the intelligence of the employee.

Reply to
Windmill