TV Licence

Not sure which law you are referring to, but the The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 includes Definitions for the purposes of the Communications Act 2003 and the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967

Meaning of "television receiver" 9. - (1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), "television receiver" means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other purpose.

So it's clear that it's the *purpose* for the apparatus rather than the

*capability* that's important.

So, with respect, I think you are in error.

Reply to
OG

See my recent post (timed 19:19). The strict letter of the law is clear. Use requires a licence, not capability.

Irrelevant, as that is not in the Regulations.

Doesn't matter - it's not important. If you don't *use* the capability to watch or record 'as broadcast' programs, you don't need a licence

However, I have heard that Sweden is introducing a licencing system on the lines of what you think applies here.

Reply to
OG

Last September I wrote to TV licensing and informed them that I would not be renewing my licence. I asked if there was a requirement to place my tv "somwhere" in the house.

I received a reply from them saying that I would get a visit from then in the future and after that I would not be contacted for three years. No visiit yet. I use the tv for PS2 and DVD

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

ARWadsworth wibbled on Tuesday 12 January 2010 20:33

They think they are the New Staasi.

I think they are a bunch of cnuts.

I suppose it's fair. I did tell them what I thought of them in writing. They didn't proceed to hang me upside down by my testicles and use me as a dart board, so I suppose they can't be that Nazi after all.

Reply to
Tim W

I suspect this refers to TV cards in the computer. Being able simply to access the Internet does not require a TV licence.

That *is* live. Just because there is an encoding delay, that does not make it any less "live".

Sorry - live again.

Live.

Not recorded and broadcast at a substantially later time.

Reply to
Jason

That is multicast - not strictly broadcast.

Reply to
Jason

Nope. If the TV is in the shed or the attic, then it is just a box of electronic gizmos. You don't need a licence just to *own* a TV.

The operative word used to be "install", which means plugging it in and connecting an antenna.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

That would not be enough. I used to work in a TV repair shop in the '80s. We were required to modify the tuning circuitry so that it would only tune into channel 36. That way it cannot be tuned to any other channel, regardless of whether there was an antenna plugged in or not.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

The trouble is, even watching through a SCART cable only, the receiver is still operating in the background and you an still be done for it if you don't have a licence. You need to disconnect the tuner internally.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

Jason wibbled on Tuesday 12 January 2010 22:13

The operative word seemed to be "watch" when I read the statement on TV Licensing's website.

Reply to
Tim W

Just be careful. If the tuner is still operating (and it is likely to be doing so) when playing, then they can detect that and you will be up in court.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

Detect what and how?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Wow, I never expected so many replies. From what you all say then if I watch the news or weather on my computer I had better get myself a licence. Thankfully I am almost 75 so then I think it will be free.

Reply to
Stewart

Irrelevant if you're not using it to watch (or record) a broadcast. Didn't you read my post?

Reply to
OG

Wrong.

Reply to
OG

In the end it isn't up to the TVLA to decide whether or not you've been watching TV without a licence - it's for the magistrates' court to convict or dismiss, after TVLA have produced their 'evidence'. Such 'evidence' _may_ consist largely of a likelihood of use (cf. availability), but as I said it's up to the JPs to decide who's telling the truth.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

If you watch a BBC iPlayer programme that is live there will be a statement on the page that tells you that you need a TV licence.

Does anyone know why the blind have to pay more for a colour TV licence than a black and white TV licence?

TV Licensing charges the blind £71.25 a year to use a colour TV and £24 a year to use a B&W TV

Adam.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I'm not familiar with the currently used Communications Act, but I should imagine that in this context the definitions etc of the older Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1949 will still largely apply:-

"No person shall establish or use any station for wireless telegraphy or install or use any apparatus for wireless telegraphy except under the authority of a licence in that behalf..."

The word 'establish' used here is very vague and has apparently never been legally defined - I suppose case law could provide some sort of definition if anyone could be ar$ed to try!.

Obviously since 1949 technology has changed vastly and 'apparatus for wireless telegraphy' itself clearly isn't what it was in the days of crystal sets, 0-v-1superregens, superhets and so on, so 'establish' and even 'install' are even more complicated, in these days of mobile phone/TVs, cable TV (which isn't even wireless!) and so on.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

messagenews:hii0a7$du3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

You only need a license if you use the TV. Turned off and never used its fine.

Reply to
John Rumm

Bravo! Enjoy.

There was a letter in tonight's local rag (probably similarly sent to all LRs in the kingdom) from TVLA reminding people over 75 of their entitlement to a 'free' licence. Referring to 'mobile phones, laptops or MP3 players for their elderly relations', a Phil Reed says:- "With many of these gadgets now offering online access to TV programmes, people should be aware that they need to be covered by a TV Licence if they use any device to watch or record programmes as they're being broadcast."

Reply to
Frank Erskine