Auto Program you TV for OTA stations

We have an antenna tower with a antenna rotor. How do I auto program the channels with the rotor in use ? Every time you start the programming, it wipes the previous channels.

I want to be able to set the antenna in one direction, Search ... Set the antenna in another direction, Search ... Etc ...

Anyone know how to make it do that ? Most of our TVs are Sony(s). Thanks

Reply to
sidwelle

We can't always have what we want.

I know. You can't.

You can make a list of all the stations you want, even maybe using the rotor to point in different directions to see what's out there. Then you can pick the direction that has the most, scan once, and add the others manually. Without using Search/Scan.

Reply to
micky

Adding channels manually is exactly what I am trying to avoid. Any other options ?

Reply to
sidwelle

It doesn't sound like it with the software on your set. TVs are not really designed for OTA it seems. They add it as an afterthought and only meet the minimum government requirement. I am seeing more "monitor only" TVs these days with no tuner at all, just some HDMI ports and maybe a combo set of composite/componant jacks.

Reply to
gfretwell

It's going to be the same set of answers you got when you asked this question a few weeks ago.

Disconnect and optionally remove the rotor. Add a second (or more) antenna and use a combiner so that your tuner app thinks it's all a single antenna.

Use one of the OTA antenna websites to determine where the stations are broadcasting from in your area.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Neil Kelly

Silicondust makes excellent tuners, possibly the best, but how is that going to help the OP? The tuners still need an antenna, or in the OPs case, either an antenna with a rotor or multiple antennas.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Have you tried mounting an omnidirectional antenna on your tower, perhaps with a low noise uhf/vhf amplifier, connecting that setup to your TV temporarily, re-scanning, and seeing whether you receive all the stations you desire/expect? You might even be able to find someone to loan those items to you, or allow you to purchase them with a guaranteed refund if they are "unsatisfactory". Assuming it does, then disconnect that setup, reconnect your rotor controlled directional antenna and dial the rotor direction for each station providing the best reception. Web sites, such as /

and others easily located with a web search can help you determine if the strategy has been successful.

Reply to
Peter

Probably the best idea if there are only a couple of directions to the towers. Another option is a multidirectional antenna but they generally top out at 30-40 miles even with an amp. (advertising claims are not facts).

Reply to
gfretwell

Nonsense. They wouldn't scan multiple cable inputs eiher, without erasing the earlier ones.

So the TV makers were planning to ignore the millions of people who didn't have cable. LOL

Reply to
micky

Even without the other steps below, doesn't this sound like a lot more time and effort than adding stations manually?

Reply to
micky

Low price gets the sale.  Get it?

Reply to
Roger Oveur
[snip]

IIRC, you can get an external tuner for use with such a device. Like one of those boxes a lot of people had in 2009, but a HD version.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Some (most?) cable systems now encrypt everything, requiring you to use their box instead of the TV tuner.

Because of this I can get BOTH cable and antenna on the same TV.

So antenna users need an add-on tuner and those without an antenna don't have to pay for it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

My two Samsungs pick up inputs on the fly, no scan necessary as does the no name TV in the back room and the Panasonic in the shop. Plug it in, it shows up on the input menu as "hot" (the rest are grayed out). I have never actually seen a TV that didn't work that way and we have always had a bunch here.

TV makers go where the money is. Don't argue with me, I am not the OP complaining that Sony did not envision people with antenna rotators when they designed their set but I bet that is a pretty small market share. I was just reading an article that says 17% of American households are OTA only but most are city dwellers where an omnidirectional stick up antenna from Amazon works.

Reply to
gfretwell

I think they are sold to people who are not sure what the F-59 jack on their TV is for now that Roku/Fire Stick and their Cable/Sat box are HDMI. I bet your Replay was hooked to the TV with the AV jacks or S-Video and that was last century.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm curious to hear why you think cable encryption has anything to do with getting "BOTH cable and antenna on the same TV".

My last 4 TVs have had separate tuners (and separate inputs) for OTA and cable, plus multiple HDMI inputs, so cable encryption hasn't made any difference here.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I know about that, I have that, but that doesn't contradict4 what I said. If you scan OTA it erases your prvious OTA scan and if you scan for cable it erases your previous cable scan.

maybe in some cases.

Reply to
micky

Do you mean you can enter 1 3 and it picks up channel 13? Yes of course.

Scanning is done so you can use the Channel Up button on the tv or remote and it will only stop at channels that were found during scanning. Unless scanning was never done or was erased. Then Channel Up stops at every channel.

Scan is never necessary.

One is only allowed to argue with an OP?

And how much does it cost to put in the OTA software?. Almost nothing. To put in the OTA hardware? About a dollar.

Do you think their money is no good becase they are city dwellers? Do you think they make different models for the city and the country?

And 17% is plenty.

Reply to
micky

I remembered the previous question but didn't realize it was the same poster. And I remembered the multiple antennal idea, which I thought was a good one, but I didn't suggest it here because he has a tower. I figured antennas in his attic couldn't compete with a tower, unless maybe he pointed the attic antenna to the nearest city and saved the tower for distant ones. He could do that but I don't think he'll want to.

Reply to
micky